Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 1 1/2 years I've been shooting black powder loads exclusively in CAS events with great satisfaction and success.  I shoot the .45 Colt cartridge in 7 1/2" and 5 1/2" Colts and an Uberti 1873 rifle.

My load is  34.0 gr of Goex FFg.  What would be the advantage, if any, in using FFFg instead of my current load?

Thanks!

(Edited by PCM at 10:52 am on Mar. 12, 2001)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
PCM....The question on whether to use FFg or FFFg in the large pistol cases like the .45 long Colt has gone on for years. In cases above the .38 Special there is very little difference in velocity. However, I still use FFFg in the large cases because I find the residue of FFFg a bit finer. I also quite using Geox and switched to Elephant Brand. I find the residue entirely different and cleaner. I also drop my powder chaarge back 5 grs and use a "wonder wad" under the bullet. It makes all the difference in the world. Another thing...check all those flash holes with a #46 drill bit @ .0810" and if they are smaller, drill them out. Factory specs are .0780" to .0820"
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, thanks for your reply.

As the warmer weather arrives I plan to fully test FFg against FFFg in my guns.  If I can find someone who sells Elephant brand I'll give that a try also.  Thanks for the tip on the flash holes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts