Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't know the Monty Burch books. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing any books on the subject. Most of the information that I have seen in print was in various sporting magazines (Sports Afield, Outdoor Life) and the like.
Do you have specific questions, or are you just looking for books? Any luck with doing a web search?

·
Banned
415 Posts
I have a video I bought a couple yers back, called Practical Fur Handling. Covers the skinning, scraping, stretching, drying (and I believe, tanning) of some critters. I think it's got coyote, bobcat, fox, skunk, beaver, otter muskrat, mink and raccoon. The back of the case says www.huntersvideos.com, so that might be worth a look if you're not opposed to videos on the subject. It IS a very well done video, however there is not much to learn from it if you're already been doing the stuff. There isn't much in the way of additional useful tips and tricks (at least not for me there wasn't), but for a beginner that doesn't quite know where to start, it would be a little goldmine.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, nothing specific, just another useful text to add to the collection. The local Club has guys that are pros at cutting up just about anything, but the explanation of why and how don't come that easily. I did an amazon search and came up with Burch's info. I went to the local library and asked for a few books to be sent there and when she saw the titles, her expression was that of someone who saw a murder.

I'll check out the site with the videos.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Haha...the anti-hunters will never get it, I guess...can't blame them though, cause I sure as heck don't understand their way!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't have any info. on where to get a book or video on the subject. But I do have a short story on the most efficient way to gut a rabbit I have ever witnessed. I don't hunt small game personally but I was on a lease where several people hunted rabbits. This 10 year old boy had killed several and was just gutting them, not skinning. He took a hatchet chopped off the head, held the carcass by the hind legs and helicoptered it sideways 360 degrees and hard. All of the internals flew out the neck, the dogs retrieved their treats and it only took about 20 seconds per rabbit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts