Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to purchase a "spotting scope" but can someone tell me the difference between a Field scope and a spotting scope. If this helps, I am looking @ the Nikon line of optics. I have had great success w/ several scopes and binos.

THX

·
Super Moderator
14,106 Posts
Field scopes, AFAIK, are usually compact and with small main objectives. About like a half a binocular, they can be carried in a pouch and picked up and looked through by hand. They often have a threaded hole for a camera tripod mounting screw, too.

Spotting scopes are what we call the scopes used on the line at shooting matches to see our bullet holes in the targets. To be bright enough for that, the main objective has to be large. They are mounted on a stand and their weight would make them impractical to pick up by hand to look through. They are also used by bird watchers. The most popular at the shooting ranges are Kowa brand spotting scopes. They are about the only outfit to offer long eye relief lenses, so, for example, shooting sitting or prone, you don't have to lean far enough to touch your eyelashes to it to see. They also offer 45° lens versions so you don't have to get completely behind them to see through them. This is a big help when you've fired your first two rounds of a ten round string and just barely have time after the reload to take a quick peak to verify zero before firing the other eight. Having to look through the scope in that short time requires you don't lose your leg position, which is more awkward with an in-line scope.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.