Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the rear factory iron sight on a Marlin Mod 30 AS and replaced it with a Lyman model 66 receiver sight. The swap went well until I installed the stock Lyman filler blank in the former rear sight dovetail slot. The new filler blank does not match the contour of the barrel and projects above the barrel by approximately 1/8 of an inch. The resulting installation looks crude and amaturish.

Does anyone know of a source of filler blanks specific to the Marlin 30 or Marlin 336 family? Locally the cost of grinding, polishing and re-blueing the barrel is more than I want to spend. Any other options to improve the installation would be appreciated.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did keep the original long leaf sight so a cut-and-trim exercise may be my next move. I regret that it just didn't occur to me to think that a factory aftermarket sight system that specificed a particular gun/model would have a generic filler blank. After additional thought I can understand that long production runs of, say a Marlin 336, could likely have a variety of barrel diameter/contours over the course of a multiple decade production cycle. I just didn't think it through...thanks for the ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.