Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever fill hollow points with plastic, rubber, or some type of polymer? Since 35 remington ammo is almost impossible to find now, I'm starting to handload. There are many bullets, however, that are 0.358 that cannot be used in a lever gun because of their tip. I just purchased some Barnes TSX hollow points to reload for 35 Rem., but I am starting to wonder about if they are safe to use in a lever gun. ( would assume they are because of the many 357, 44mag, etc. lever guns out there...but still wanted to verify with the manufacturer) But have had no response from Barnes. So it got me wondering about liquid polymers that harden after you pour them. Or perhaps some other type of product. Has anyone done this before in the group? Thanks in advance.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,039 Posts
I have never wanted to fill a hollow point, but have played with a fair amount of such polymers.
The most common types, are hardening polymers. Meaning, you would be removing the possible danger of a small HP setting off a primer; and adding the same danger with a small hard polymer tip.
Seems like a distinction, without difference..

If you can find something that stays "gummy", let us know how it works.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
The ones that can’t be used are the ones that are too long to feed in the gun. How do you think it would help anything by filling the hollow point with any type of filler? It might add a couple of grains of weight but other than that I can’t think of anything else it would be doing. The Barnes will probably be a little long to feed in your gun. You’d be better off just getting some Hornady or Speer bullets to use. If you can’t find any, I have some Speer HotCore 180g bullets that are ideal for the 35 Rem. If you want to try some I’ll swap with you. They expand at velocities that the 35 Rem works best at. As mentioned above, these pointed bullets shouldn’t be use in a tube feed to begin with. They could set off the bullet in front from the recoil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the Hornady 200gr. FTX, problem solved. Made for lever guns.
That's exactly what I have been using....but can't find those anywhere anymore. Local or online. So I've resorted to reloading, but even the .358 Hornady FTX bullets are becoming rare. Plus, I really like Barnes copper bullets in my other rifle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never wanted to fill a hollow point, but have played with a fair amount of such polymers.
The most common types, are hardening polymers. Meaning, you would be removing the possible danger of a small HP setting off a primer; and adding the same danger with a small hard polymer tip.
Seems like a distinction, without difference..

If you can find something that stays "gummy", let us know how it works.

Cheers
Trying to create the same type of product as the Hornady FTX bullets. I may be over thinking this though, since 357, 44 mag, 45 long cold, have all been successful with hollow points in a tube fed lever gun. Just looking for a Plan B if Barnes finally gets back to me and says that their hollowpoints won't work.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,163 Posts
You might want to talk to Barnes and find out if those will even expand at .35 Rem velocites. My guess is "a little" and not very far beyond muzzle-blast range. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the .35 just doesn't fling bullets out the muzzle all that fast, one of the challenges/charms of the cartridge. As stated above, the ogive shape is important. Marlins tend to have short throats and so the bullets need to be sort of 'blunt-ish' to have much hope of feeding.

Marlins can be a little stubborn about exceeding factory OAL even by a tiny bit, and if the bullet is too long, you may have to drop the lever and pull the bolt out, while prying the extractor out of the groove. Ask me how I know this.... :rolleyes: Fortunately, I found out with a dummy round.

There are some cast bullet designs that may work. See if you can find anyone offering the RCBS 200gr. gas-checked bullet.

Sierra has a 200gr. RN, dunno about availability. Might just have to conserve shots with the 200gr. FTX bullets that you have on hand (if you have any left) through the next hunting season......

180gr. Hornady XTP pistol bullets might work in a pinch. I don't know how they'd fare at .35 Rem velocities, but someone has surely tried them. Guessing they would hold together on a cross-body shot on a deer if you don't hit the shoulder blade, but that's a guess.

Best of luck.

Reactions: SFT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might want to talk to Barnes and find out if those will even expand at .35 Rem velocites. My guess is "a little" and not very far beyond muzzle-blast range. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the .35 just doesn't fling bullets out the muzzle all that fast, one of the challenges/charms of the cartridge. As stated above, the ogive shape is important. Marlins tend to have short throats and so the bullets need to be sort of 'blunt-ish' to have much hope of feeding.

Marlins can be a little stubborn about exceeding factory OAL even by a tiny bit, and if the bullet is too long, you may have to drop the lever and pull the bolt out, while prying the extractor out of the groove. Ask me how I know this.... :rolleyes: Fortunately, I found out with a dummy round.

There are some cast bullet designs that may work. See if you can find anyone offering the RCBS 200gr. gas-checked bullet.

Sierra has a 200gr. RN, dunno about availability. Might just have to conserve shots with the 200gr. FTX bullets that you have on hand (if you have any left) through the next hunting season......

Best of luck.
I've sent many a message to Barnes, with no response. This is just a Plan B in case I'm told by them that their hollowpoint bullets won't work in a lever gun. I've sized up the hollow point with the brass, and there would be no direct contact, just right around the rim of the primer. but since I'm new to reloading, thought I'd ask them. but again, no response, so thought I would ask the forum in case anyone has tried this. I purchased the 35 cal .58 180 Gr TSX bullets. They actually don't look any different then the Barnes 175 gr 350 legend rounds that I have.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,163 Posts
The stuff made for the .350 Legend should work at .35 Rem velocities, I would think.

As far as mag tube safety - if they will feed OK, then one in the chamber and one in the mag will do no harm.

Reactions: SFT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The stuff made for the .350 Legend should work at .35 Rem velocities, I would think.

As far as mag tube safety - if they will feed OK, then one in the chamber and one in the mag will do no harm.
I would think so too, since the 35 Rem shots faster then the 350 legend.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I experimented with different projectiles a few months ago.
I put a primer in a empty 30-30 case , put that in a vice with the primer facing up , held projectiles with pliers.
Placed the tip of the projectiles against the primer and whacked it with a hammer.
Wearing safety glasses and earmuffs.
It was a fun experiment that gave surprising results and a much better understanding of the situation.
I should of done it when I started reloading, i thought about doing it.
One of the pointy hollow points I used could set the primer off but I don’t think soft rubber Would stop it from happening with that projectile.
Roofing silicone would be a good soft sort of rubber to use if you wanted to experiment on an empty.
The conclusion I came to is unless you have a very unique case that I could not imagine it would be much more relaxing just to use one in the tube and one loaded.
Or grind the ends flat but then you don’t no how the projectiles will preform until you shoot a few critters.
You could make your own gummy tips by grinding flats on pointy hollow points And use latex for the tip .
You would need to make a mould and prep the hollow point in a way that it would hold the tip in.
Wouldn’t be that hard to do and could be done with simple stuff but would take a lot of time and testing.
if I had the time I would love to have a go at copper plating cast projectiles and making gummy tips for them.
Mould’s would be easy to make as they don’t need lube rings.
All pretty simple things to do but time consuming.
A lot of fun rabbit holes to go down when reloading.

Cheers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've sent many a message to Barnes, with no response. This is just a Plan B in case I'm told by them that their hollowpoint bullets won't work in a lever gun. I've sized up the hollow point with the brass, and there would be no direct contact, just right around the rim of the primer. but since I'm new to reloading, thought I'd ask them. but again, no response, so thought I would ask the forum in case anyone has tried this. I purchased the 35 cal .58 180 Gr TSX bullets. They actually don't look any different then the Barnes 175 gr 350 legend rounds that I have.
Don't waste time with a message . Call them, they have answered the phone every time I have called. Which exact bullet did you buy ? Are they .358 pistol bullets or rifle bullets ? Part number? If it's the rifle version I would not trust it in a tube magazine from what I can see on their site. Point diameter looks a bit smaller than I would like but I don't have any in hand.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,812 Posts
I use 180 grain XTP's in my 358 Winchester (M99) and they are reasonably accurate (2" groups) to 100 yards. I wouldn't hesitate to use them to whack a deer.

RJ

·
Super Moderator
14,119 Posts
Probably unnecessary, but Devcon Flexane 80 is a two-part material that produces a fairly hard (80 durometer) PU "rubber". You can get an additive to take it down to 60 on the durometer scale, which is pretty pliant.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I know this doesn't answer your question but I bought 300 of these last month. Havent loaded them yet but they are gas checked with a BHN of 20+.

They are really nice and affordable.

Good luck on your project.

{Edit: Those images are copyrighted material. To post them here you need permission from the copyright holder. You can, however, post links to them at their source site}

·
Premium Member
17,044 Posts
Filling HPs brought back dangerous memories :eek: but you just want a bumper. Use a leather punch for surgical tubing slugs. A dab of super glue and you'll have bumper cars in the magazine tube. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't waste time with a message . Call them, they have answered the phone every time I have called. Which exact bullet did you buy ? Are they .358 pistol bullets or rifle bullets ? Part number? If it's the rifle version I would not trust it in a tube magazine from what I can see on their site. Point diameter looks a bit smaller than I would like but I don't have any in hand.
They are the 35 Cal .358" 180 gr GR TSX FN part 31112. Definately for rifle. The opening of the hollow cavity is the same size as the prime that would be in front of it. That's why I think there would be no issue. Just trying to confirm. I think I will take your suggestion and try calling them. Barnes products have always worked well for me in other calibers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I kinda like the flat point to be somewhat larger than the diameter of the primer unless there is plenty of soft lead exposed. Remember , you are using solid copper which is harder than lead and will have 0 give to it . Might at some point act like a fat firing pin . Those would be great in a bolt gun or a BLR but I wouldn't trust them unless the FP was larger than the primer and the primers absolutely flush. The bullets JWSmith1959 shows would be awesome for deer, bear and hogs and a much cheaper option plus easier on your barrel.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I believe the problem is in the fact that the hollow point in TSX bullets is surrounded by copper or a copper alloy that's very hard and not the typical lead hollow point. I'd suggest using only two at a time as already mentioned as the best solution. The substance that Hornady uses in it's gummy tips was tested extensively in all types of temps and conditions. It was developed just for that particular use. I doubt a tinkerer would be able to develop a similar substance that would be foolproof.

Good luck. 👍

Reactions: SFT and nsb
1 - 20 of 39 Posts