Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from some nice people at USRAC yesterday informing me that they couldn't sell a .405 WCF barrel/receiver to me. That part was expected. The unexpected news was that they don't have and don't expect to receive any more .405 barrel/receiver parts because production has been discontinued.

Time to sit back and watch the prices become unreasonable.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
You know thinking about this, if you are set on having a 405 and don't mind giving up the 30/40 for a project rifle, you have a better rifle than new to do it with. Your Browning doesn't have that tang safety or rebounding hammer, does it? If it doesn't, you probably have a much better trigger pull than can be had with a new model 1895. Also, you can pick up a better sight system, something like a NECG banded front sight and bolt mounted or side mounted peep when you install the new barrel. While Douglas barrels definitely aren't cheap, they are a very good value when compared to other top brands and you can have whatever length you want and have a selection of different contours. I'm not sure what your local gunsmith would charge for barrel installation, reaming and fixing the sights, but it sure would be a great rifle once finished, much better than a out of the box rifle. It will probably be more expensive than the 366, but probably not a great deal more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's really the reason I went looking for the .30-40 chambering in a Browning rifle- for better or worse I can't stand the rebounding hammer. I could live with the tang safety but those rifles just don't feel right with that hammer.

Given some of the difficulty in obtaining the .405 I think I'll fall back to my contingency position and rebore to .35 WCF or .35 Whelen (if I can replace the bolt).

Trey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts