Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded a pistol I never shot for a Remington 700 Long Range in .300 RUM. I've added a Athlon 8-34x56, EGW 20 MOA rail, Vortex 6 screw rings, clamp-on brake, and have ordered a Triggertech Trigger for it.

Got 5 lbs of RL25, and ELD bullets in 212, 220, and 225 grain to start with.

Anyone else around here have the 700 LR ?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Traded a pistol I never shot for a Remington 700 Long Range in .300 RUM. I've added a Athlon 8-34x56, EGW 20 MOA rail, Vortex 6 screw rings, clamp-on brake, and have ordered a Triggertech Trigger for it.

Got 5 lbs of RL25, and ELD bullets in 212, 220, and 225 grain to start with.

Anyone else around here have the 700 LR ? View attachment 100173
I had one a few years ago but I bought one in 30-06 just because I wanted a 06 with a 26" barrel . Never got around to shooting it though as I gave it to my older brother .
I stopped buying Remington's because their factory finish cant hold up to the humidity here . Though I think mine was around $600 I think they are a good buy for the money considering the stock alone is $300 .

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
What is your target and at what range?
I have long range to shoot but find it hard to do alone. A target camera system would be MOST handy!

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your target and at what range?
I have long range to shoot but find it hard to do alone. A target camera system would be MOST handy!
You mean my goal ? My goal is to go to Clayton, SC and shoot a 2' x 4' steel target at 1 mile. I've signed up for a two day private course for LR shooting. They have 1000 yards on site. Had no idea there was a range so close to me here in Virginia that went that far.

225 grain ELD-M at 2800 fps, stays supersonic to right at a mile. But I will have it closer to 3000 fps.

I agree, camera system would be nice! But my wife is a pretty good spotter.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
EXCELLENT! Good luck with your quest. I placed a 4x8 plywood target at 3000 yards a little over three years ago and STILL haven't been back there to see if I hit it. :oops:

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EXCELLENT! Good luck with your quest. I placed a 4x8 plywood target at 3000 yards a little over three years ago and STILL haven't been back there to see if I hit it. :oops:
Wowwww you have better control than me lol That would drive me nuts!

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
Well, I was shooting 50BMG tracer/spotter and my eyes had uncrossed and the scope cleared in time to see impact, so it's not a total mystery. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I’ve got a friends rem 700 Lr here. He sent it to me to set up and find a load for. It’s in 300 win mag. I loaded the 212 eld-x with h1000 and got it to put 5 of them in about a 3/4” group. I did put my triggertech in it with my stock. I’m not really a fan of that b&c stock. I thought I would be, but no. The recoil was a lot worse with it than with mine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
All the best, on your quest! Longer distance is on my bucket list, so, I have been planning on moving my 100 yd range out to 225yds, the best I can do on my place, 😆, obviously not long distance to anyone, but me,... but I do what I can do.

I'm sure you will get as much of a kick out of working your way out to your targeted distance, with every distance increase, as you will when you reach your goal. As, has been said,... sometimes what counts most,... is the journey!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Most of my shooting is long range steel shooting, not for competition or anything I just enjoy the challenge.

My first dedicated long range rig was a 700 sendero in 300 rum I managed to get for I think $850-1000 range (don’t remember exactly.) I mounted a 10x42 SWFA on it and shot my 10” gong at ranges from 200 yards up to 1100. I later upgraded to a NXS 5.5-22x50 I bought used from another forum and tried my hand at 1300. I didn’t hit my 10” gong at that range but I managed to hit a 36x36 paper target which I was pretty happy with at that range.

I got into financial trouble when I lost my job and had to sell the whole rig, and I miss it so much. Have fun with it, it’ll likely shoot as good as you can, or better. Also I’m well aware the rum was overkill for the ranges I shot at for target practice, but I liked it, and got it with the intention of eventually trying for 1760yards+ where the extra velocity from the heavies would help me have enough scope adjustment, but I didn’t get to that point before I had to sell it.

Currently debating whether when I buy another long range rig in this next year if it will be another 300 rum or if I’ll try my hand at a wildcat for the first time, but the rum cartridge will always hold a special place in my heart.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most of my shooting is long range steel shooting, not for competition or anything I just enjoy the challenge.

My first dedicated long range rig was a 700 sendero in 300 rum I managed to get for I think $850-1000 range (don’t remember exactly.) I mounted a 10x42 SWFA on it and shot my 10” gong at ranges from 200 yards up to 1100. I later upgraded to a NXS 5.5-22x50 I bought used from another forum and tried my hand at 1300. I didn’t hit my 10” gong at that range but I managed to hit a 36x36 paper target which I was pretty happy with at that range.

I got into financial trouble when I lost my job and had to sell the whole rig, and I miss it so much. Have fun with it, it’ll likely shoot as good as you can, or better. Also I’m well aware the rum was overkill for the ranges I shot at for target practice, but I liked it, and got it with the intention of eventually trying for 1760yards+ where the extra velocity from the heavies would help me have enough scope adjustment, but I didn’t get to that point before I had to sell it.

Currently debating whether when I buy another long range rig in this next year if it will be another 300 rum or if I’ll try my hand at a wildcat for the first time, but the rum cartridge will always hold a special place in my heart.
If you search back...waaayyy back, my first RUM was a Sendero SF-II. If I were buying new, I would get the Remington 5R in .300 Win Mag. Which in hindsight, I should have sold the pistol and bought the 5R lol But my trade was local, and it brought back memories of that Sendero.

When the barrel is toast, it's going to become a .375 RUM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts