Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys will remember me posting some threads about my friend and his reloading antics. He ws the one that put about 1/2 pound of powder in a .454 Casull because "somebody" told him it was a good hot load. Seiously the load was so compacted that when I pulled his bullets the Unique was stuck to the bottom of the jackets. No one on this site could find a load even for lead that came close to his charge.

I just heard from him today and he is now the proud owner of a Lyman reloding manual. I am SOOOO glad that he bought it. He called me and was excited to have read that I knew what I was doing on his pistol dies.

I am hoping that over the next few months he will find it mandatory to buy others and have the data and procedures in many forms.

Pleased as punch that he trusts me enough to lead him around with reloading, but even more tickled to find out that he wants to be able to make his own loads and back them up with data other than "somebody" or internet finds.

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Keep up the good work schooling him largin. As you have suggested, prod him into getting one or two others. Speer, Hornady, and Sierra are my favorites, and an older Nosler, but I need to get a recent Nosler since I like the partition so much.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You can never have too many manuals.H 110 is about as good as it gets for the 454 it works well with most bullet weights and you get top velocity out of it.Good thing you pulled the bullets,it sounds like the load was overloaded well over twice as much.Curious what was the bullet weight and the charge of unique.Your buddy owes you a least a beverage of your choice for saving his hide ...good job

·
Registered
11,934 Posts
I've been shopping around for a newer reloading manual as an upgrade to the 4th edition Hornady. I recently checked out the Lyman since it's received rave reviews on this site. I was disappointed that some of my favorite powders and bullets weren't listed. Will probably pick up some of those cartridge specific bookets that are a composite of all the manuals in one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's pretty incredible to think that someone was interested enough to get involved in reloading, but not interested enough to get even one manual.

I shouldn't be too amazed, however, as my first efforts at handloading were with shotshells when I was about 24 years old. I used a Lee shotshell loader that I got at the swap meet, and now I'm not even sure it was all there. It did come with a small, dog-earred manual of some sort, but I'm not sure how well I read it because I wasn't even aware that there were different sizes of powder and shot bushings to be had. I loaded up boxes and boxes of shells using the same bushings that were in the device when I got it. I had a jug of Red Dot and a couple of sacks of recycled shot from the Winchester shotgun range. Not all of my crimps looked good, but then again, those take a bit of work even if you have the right stuff. I shot trap using those handloaded shells and they worked well enough for my skill level. Some of those many boxes of 12 gauge shells that were loaded thusly were around for over 30 years, but I fired off the last box last year. Every one of them went off and I never had a problem. I've heard the phrase, "Fate favors the bold" but once in a while, I'm inclined to think, "Fate sometimes favors the stupid or careless."

Back to the manuals. I've been handloading centerfire cartridges for quite a long while and in that time, I've accumulated about three linear feet of books on the subject, both sold and complimentary (the ones given out by the powder companies). I never throw one away; in fact, I sometimes run across an obsolete publication that I do not already have and pick it up. This is because in handloading, you never know when you are going to run across some obsolete supplies of some sort and you will need the obsolete data for them. The internet helps out a lot, now, though. If you find a can or two of old Hercules HiVel #2, by golly you can put the word out on some board somewhere and somebody will come back with just what you need -- that he got out of one of his obsolete publications for you.

Having multiple sources also allows you to compare data if desired. I don't automatically trust everything I read for my particular uses.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I have half a dozen manuals and they all get used. I like Sierra's, Nosler's, and Speer's the best but they all have good information. I primarily use those bullets so that is why I reference them the most.

I gave my old Nosler #5 away to a friend that only had manuals from the 70s to reference. For $20 they are a heck of a good read if you are gun nut like most of us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts