Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 years of futility and endless static from other members of my deer party, I finally got a deer with a handgun today. Deer is a little button buck, got him with one shot at 50 yards as he was facing straight at me. Gun is my David Clements Redhawk in .500 Linebaugh, launching a 440 LFN from a Ballisticast mould (water-quenched W/W) at 1000 fps. Bullet exited, of course, leaving behind a real nice wound channel that utterly destroyed one lung.
Mark

·
Registered
282 Posts
Come on... we all see the Mountain Dew in the back of the truck. You expect us to believe that story? We all know that you grabbed that deer by the throat as you were flying through the air in your pickup...upside down of course. Just like on the TeeVee!

Really, congratulations. That's great that you stuck it out. Open sites, pretty cool...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, you got me! The deer made the mistake of trying to steal my Dew, and we just can't allow that! ;)
Mark

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
That Dew wasn't bait was it? :D

Can you tell us a little about bullet performance? You know, all the boring stuff, did it exit, what kind of bones encountered, vitals, did the deer spit it back you and you really had to kill it with a stick, etc... :p

Makes me want my 500 back. Guess that 45 will have to go to Clements for surgery.

Congrats on the deer, how 'bout sending a bowl of stew my way?

Take care,

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guessed it. Because I wasn't using a high-tech wonder bullet at 3000 fps it bounced off and I had to run over and whack the deer over the head with the barrel of the gun. ;)
Actually, bullet raked through about two feet of deer before exiting, went through 1 rib, dislocated the left front shoulder, through one lung, the stomach and exited, same side that it went in. Deer went about 50 feet and dropped.
Mark

·
Registered
471 Posts
Job well done Mcassill, Meat on the table first,well in NH you can purchase a couple of tags for Rifle season, one tag is your primary and one is a M zone doe tag for southern zones, doe only and for archery you have the primary and then you can obtain a special archery for antlered deer only as well. opening day in NH Nov 13 was rainy all day, went back to the RV after the morning hunt and put my rifle away after wiping it down and took my scoped SuperRedHawk 44 mag and scoped bandoleer holster under my rain hooded coat(Red) and still stalked back to my stand, just about to my stand and two deer on the hoof running bye me about thirty yards away inside the treeline, I looked to my right for a semi open shot, that was the direction they were going, placed my scope there and as soon as I saw the deers shoulder enter my cross hairs I squeezed and down he went, Shot right behind the shoulder,a little luck and a lot of practice it all came together, this was 120pd button buck, looked a lot bigger, but I guess not bad with my SuperRedhawk 44 mag using the bullets I reloaded,Hornady XTP 240gr using ww296 at 24 gr, CCI mag primers at 1520fps, nothing feels better than taking your game with the bullet you reloaded yourself
Now I am back to bow to look for that trophy buck, now that I have some meat in the freezer,Aim small hit small.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Mark,

Great job, 50 yd with iron sights when you're heart is jumping around is outstanding. But the least you could have done for your home state was to change into a bathing suit when you posed for the picture.....folks may get the wrong impression of Ioway in the winter?

My wife and I were in a diner last week here in Florida and I was wearing my "Hawkeye" sweatshirt, which caused a Floridian to stop and tell us her son was attending school in Iowa and really liked it. She said she had visited him and was surprised to not see the mountains she expected...... I told her they were in a different part of the state !!!.

Dan

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan:
Thank you for your kind words. However, I must say that the fact that you are in FLA now speaks volumes about the Iowa winter. ;) Besides, if I put up a pic of me in a bathing suit it might cause outbreaks of illness among forum members! Then they wouldn't be able to buy as many of Marshall's bullets. ;)
Mark

·
Registered
311 Posts
mcassill,
Great job. I'm impressed. Have yet to do one with the handguns. Saw a house cat and a coyote this year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Filled both tags wih SRH`s

First of all good job mcasill and Rmouleart. Nothin better than gettin your deer with a handgun. I filled both tags this year with my SRH`s. Buck was shot at 110 paces with 454 260 gr. Magtech factory round. Doe was shot at 60 paces with 44, 240 gr. XTP 24 grs. 296. 2nd deer with XTPs. Both went about 20 yds. before piling up.
Hub

·
Registered
15 Posts
First of all good job mcasill and Rmouleart. Nothin better than gettin your deer with a handgun. I filled both tags this year with my SRH`s. Buck was shot at 110 paces with 454 260 gr. Magtech factory round. Doe was shot at 60 paces with 44, 240 gr. XTP 24 grs. 296. 2nd deer with XTPs. Both went about 20 yds. before piling up.
Hub

1 - 12 of 12 Posts