Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to say the recoil surprised me or lack of , I let my brother shoot it also and we both came to the conclusion its softer on the shoulder than his 30-06 and 270 .
I think largely because of the Mcmillan stock has more heft to it than a injection molded stock . Rifle has to weigh 9lbs maybe 10lb because of the scope . I fired 20 rds in one range session both off handed and from the bench . Its hilarious watching someone shoot it because the 340 has this huge concussive blast but the gun barely moves backwards .

I wasnt able to take it deer hunting because it took optics planet 23 days to mail my scope rail then a few more for it to get here . However I can try it on hogs and maybe some coyotes .

·
Registered
107 Posts
340?

.340 Weatherby Magnum ?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,991 Posts
You must be immune to recoil..... :eek:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You must be immune to recoil..... :eek:
I wouldnt say that , the 460 wby would leave one side of my body sore for half a week .
I grew up shooting 10 and 12 gauge turkey loads for most of my hunting . When I started to get into rifles the recoil is usually substantially less . Not many hunting calibers that can thump you with 60-80 ft lbs of recoil lol .

I do wonder if muzzle brakes are kind of a gimmick , ive had rifles with radial brakes and the large baffle brakes(my 338 Lapua) I havnt been able to tell much of a difference with them on/off.
I will say though I learned not to shoot a radial break off hand and barefooted haha .

I didnt buy the 340 wby because I wanted a 340 , I got a good deal on a Mark V fibermark that just happened to be in 340 wby .
Looking at reloading data it seems to be nipping on the heels of the Lapua maybe by 50 fps ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
My 340 has a 26" Pac-Nor Barrel, no brake.........A 200 grain Ballistic Tip at 3200 fps. will kick a woodchuck 12 to 15 feet thru the air!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 340 has a 26" Pac-Nor Barrel, no brake.........A 200 grain Ballistic Tip at 3200 fps. will kick a woodchuck 12 to 15 feet thru the air!
I wanted some 250gr accubond loads to play with but these 230gr Oryxs were only $49 a box .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I often hear the same thing ( oh my! The recoil is horrendous! ) when I say my .300 Weatherby is one of my favorite rifles to shoot, and my #1 ‘confidence rifle’, as in if I absolutely had to connect on the first shot.
The previous owner epoxy-bedded the action, and epoxy coated the barrel channel of the stock after free floating it, to seal the stock. ( It’s a Mark V Deluxe.)
The butt was slightly shortened in LOP with a Decelerator recoil pad installed. It weighs about 8 lbs before the Leupold VXR 3-9/40 30mm tube scope was installed. The weight helps, but the most important thing is that it fits me like a glove. It couldn’t fit better if it was professionally fit and custom made. Perceived recoil is less than my Rem. 760 in 30-06. To me, not ‘punishing’ at all. And it will cut 3/4 MOA all day with 3 different Wby. Factory loads. I don’t reload yet, but shortly will for a 1/2 dozen different cartridges.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I often hear the same thing ( oh my! The recoil is horrendous! ) when I say my .300 Weatherby is one of my favorite rifles to shoot, and my #1 ‘confidence rifle’, as in if I absolutely had to connect on the first shot.
The previous owner epoxy-bedded the action, and epoxy coated the barrel channel of the stock after free floating it, to seal the stock. ( It’s a Mark V Deluxe.)
The butt was slightly shortened in LOP with a Decelerator recoil pad installed. It weighs about 8 lbs before the Leupold VXR 3-9/40 30mm tube scope was installed. The weight helps, but the most important thing is that it fits me like a glove. It couldn’t fit better if it was professionally fit and custom made. Perceived recoil is less than my Rem. 760 in 30-06. To me, not ‘punishing’ at all. And it will cut 3/4 MOA all day with 3 different Wby. Factory loads. I don’t reload yet, but shortly will for a 1/2 dozen different cartridges.
Just my 2 cents.
Not sure if my rifle is bedded or not but you can push on the barrel and theres zero movement in the stock . I was worried at first because the recoil pad is 32 yrs old and I thought was too stiff but after shooting it , it works just fine . I wouldnt mind finding a Fibermark right hand in 300 WBY for my older brother . He really likes my rifle and says hes thinking he may need a Weatherby in the future .

·
Registered
846 Posts
I wouldnt say that , the 460 wby would leave one side of my body sore for half a week .
I grew up shooting 10 and 12 gauge turkey loads for most of my hunting . When I started to get into rifles the recoil is usually substantially less . Not many hunting calibers that can thump you with 60-80 ft lbs of recoil lol .

I do wonder if muzzle brakes are kind of a gimmick , ive had rifles with radial brakes and the large baffle brakes(my 338 Lapua) I havnt been able to tell much of a difference with them on/off.
I will say though I learned not to shoot a radial break off hand and barefooted haha .

I didnt buy the 340 wby because I wanted a 340 , I got a good deal on a Mark V fibermark that just happened to be in 340 wby .
Looking at reloading data it seems to be nipping on the heels of the Lapua maybe by 50 fps ?
Yep, all the hoopla about the 338 Lapua and we've had the 340 Weatherby Magnum all the time! Great cartridge! I had a 300 Weatherby on a Remington 700 action and had a barrel issue. With an Alaskan hunt coming up, I chose to changeout the barrel myself, rather than wait on Remington to replace it. My gunsmith recommended the 340 Weatherby as it's just a necked up 300 Weatherby and has better efficiency. Also, it would be a better "stopper" should I need one. I've been tickled ever since. Great cartridge for hunting anything and everything on the North American continent. Great for hunting all but the big 5 in Arica as well. Elmer Keith said his 334 OKH was "the finest long range, cartridge big game he'd ever hunted with. With very minor modifications, today we have the 30 Weatherby." That's about as high a praise as a cartridge can get! Don't worry about taking deer with it. It will simply put a bigger hole through them. Good luck!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yep, all the hoopla about the 338 Lapua and we've had the 340 Weatherby Magnum all the time! Great cartridge! I had a 300 Weatherby on a Remington 700 action and had a barrel issue. With an Alaskan hunt coming up, I chose to changeout the barrel myself, rather than wait on Remington to replace it. My gunsmith recommended the 340 Weatherby as it's just a necked up 300 Weatherby and has better efficiency. Also, it would be a better "stopper" should I need one. I've been tickled ever since. Great cartridge for hunting anything and everything on the North American continent. Great for hunting all but the big 5 in Arica as well. Elmer Keith said his 334 OKH was "the finest long range, cartridge big game he'd ever hunted with. With very minor modifications, today we have the 30 Weatherby." That's about as high a praise as a cartridge can get! Don't worry about taking deer with it. It will simply put a bigger hole through them. Good luck!
Sorry about the typos. Couldn't edit them. Keith said his 334 OKH was the finest long-range, big game cartridge he'd ever hunted with. He said today, the 340 Weatherby is the 334 OKH slightly modified.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,497 Posts
The .334 OKH and .333 OKH both used a .333 (not .338) diameter bullet. The 334 was an H&H case "improved" in a chamber cut using a "custom" reamer hand cut by Charlie O'Neill with the appearance of a double radius shoulder as seen here with my 30-06 IMP done by Charlie for my Dad back in the early 50's. Note that neither the neck or shoulder junctures are as sharp as "true A.I." but "rounded".

urlurl=IMG 20210327 120150851 — Postimages]
[/url]

Elmer had NOTHING to do with the designs of ANY of the OKH cartridges as he would so adamantly claim after Don Hopkins passed away. Don would "put the bug" in Charlie's ear and things would progress from there.

How do I know all this? Well, Charlie and my Dad were neighbors in the Bitteroot and Rose Mary, Charlie's daughter, and my Mom were great pals.

ANYways, that's how I learned about OKH and met Elmer 🙊

There, that little bit of puke came up again.

RJ

·
Registered
846 Posts
The .334 OKH and .333 OKH both used a .333 (not .338) diameter bullet. The 334 was an H&H case "improved" in a chamber cut using a "custom" reamer hand cut by Charlie O'Neill with the appearance of a double radius shoulder as seen here with my 30-06 IMP done by Charlie for my Dad back in the early 50's. Note that neither the neck or shoulder junctures are as sharp as "true A.I." but "rounded".

[/url]

Elmer had NOTHING to do with the designs of ANY of the OKH cartridges as he would so adamantly claim after Don Hopkins passed away. Don would "put the bug" in Charlie's ear and things would progress from there.

How do I know all this? Well, Charlie and my Dad were neighbors in the Bitteroot and Rose Mary, Charlie's daughter, and my Mom were great pals.

RJ
No doubt Hopkins and O’Neill played a big part in the OKH development. Regardless of who worked on it the most, neither would have attached Keith’s initials if Keith wasn’t a part. I‘d guess that Keith probably hunted with it more than the others. Nevertheless, his feeling that the 340 Weatherby‘s performance was similar to the 334 OKH is of significance. And today, the 338 Lapua isn’t much different. The point is, the 340 Weatherby is an outstanding cartridge.

·
Registered
846 Posts

[/url]

RJ
By the way, RJ, how do you like the 30-06 Imp? I have a 280AI that I enjoy, but have often thought of building a 30-06Imp. Much improvement over the standard ‘06?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,497 Posts
No doubt Hopkins and O’Neill played a big part in the OKH development. Regardless of who worked on it the most, neither would have attached Keith’s initials if Keith wasn’t a part. I‘d guess that Keith probably hunted with it more than the others. Nevertheless, his feeling that the 340 Weatherby‘s performance was similar to the 334 OKH is of significance. And today, the 338 Lapua isn’t much different. The point is, the 340 Weatherby is an outstanding cartridge.
Don Hopkins took the 334OKH and 284OKH to Africa. In American Rifleman from the late 40's are "letters" from Don to Charlie on "improvements" to bullets, loads etc. No, Elmer 🙊 was mostly the promoter because he told a great story that was someone else's to start with.

As the 30-06IMP is a family heirloom it doesn't get shot much anymore. I did develop a 165 grain Hornady Interlock load using H4350 that was running 3025 fps. As far as I know Dad's load (in the picture) using IMR4350 and a 180 grain Corelokt was never chronographed.

RJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts