Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to say the recoil surprised me or lack of , I let my brother shoot it also and we both came to the conclusion its softer on the shoulder than his 30-06 and 270 .
I think largely because of the Mcmillan stock has more heft to it than a injection molded stock . Rifle has to weigh 9lbs maybe 10lb because of the scope . I fired 20 rds in one range session both off handed and from the bench . Its hilarious watching someone shoot it because the 340 has this huge concussive blast but the gun barely moves backwards .

I wasnt able to take it deer hunting because it took optics planet 23 days to mail my scope rail then a few more for it to get here . However I can try it on hogs and maybe some coyotes .

·
Registered
83 Posts
340?

.340 Weatherby Magnum ?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
You must be immune to recoil..... :eek:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must be immune to recoil..... :eek:
I wouldnt say that , the 460 wby would leave one side of my body sore for half a week .
I grew up shooting 10 and 12 gauge turkey loads for most of my hunting . When I started to get into rifles the recoil is usually substantially less . Not many hunting calibers that can thump you with 60-80 ft lbs of recoil lol .

I do wonder if muzzle brakes are kind of a gimmick , ive had rifles with radial brakes and the large baffle brakes(my 338 Lapua) I havnt been able to tell much of a difference with them on/off.
I will say though I learned not to shoot a radial break off hand and barefooted haha .

I didnt buy the 340 wby because I wanted a 340 , I got a good deal on a Mark V fibermark that just happened to be in 340 wby .
Looking at reloading data it seems to be nipping on the heels of the Lapua maybe by 50 fps ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
My 340 has a 26" Pac-Nor Barrel, no brake.........A 200 grain Ballistic Tip at 3200 fps. will kick a woodchuck 12 to 15 feet thru the air!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 340 has a 26" Pac-Nor Barrel, no brake.........A 200 grain Ballistic Tip at 3200 fps. will kick a woodchuck 12 to 15 feet thru the air!
I wanted some 250gr accubond loads to play with but these 230gr Oryxs were only $49 a box .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I often hear the same thing ( oh my! The recoil is horrendous! ) when I say my .300 Weatherby is one of my favorite rifles to shoot, and my #1 ‘confidence rifle’, as in if I absolutely had to connect on the first shot.
The previous owner epoxy-bedded the action, and epoxy coated the barrel channel of the stock after free floating it, to seal the stock. ( It’s a Mark V Deluxe.)
The butt was slightly shortened in LOP with a Decelerator recoil pad installed. It weighs about 8 lbs before the Leupold VXR 3-9/40 30mm tube scope was installed. The weight helps, but the most important thing is that it fits me like a glove. It couldn’t fit better if it was professionally fit and custom made. Perceived recoil is less than my Rem. 760 in 30-06. To me, not ‘punishing’ at all. And it will cut 3/4 MOA all day with 3 different Wby. Factory loads. I don’t reload yet, but shortly will for a 1/2 dozen different cartridges.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I often hear the same thing ( oh my! The recoil is horrendous! ) when I say my .300 Weatherby is one of my favorite rifles to shoot, and my #1 ‘confidence rifle’, as in if I absolutely had to connect on the first shot.
The previous owner epoxy-bedded the action, and epoxy coated the barrel channel of the stock after free floating it, to seal the stock. ( It’s a Mark V Deluxe.)
The butt was slightly shortened in LOP with a Decelerator recoil pad installed. It weighs about 8 lbs before the Leupold VXR 3-9/40 30mm tube scope was installed. The weight helps, but the most important thing is that it fits me like a glove. It couldn’t fit better if it was professionally fit and custom made. Perceived recoil is less than my Rem. 760 in 30-06. To me, not ‘punishing’ at all. And it will cut 3/4 MOA all day with 3 different Wby. Factory loads. I don’t reload yet, but shortly will for a 1/2 dozen different cartridges.
Just my 2 cents.
Not sure if my rifle is bedded or not but you can push on the barrel and theres zero movement in the stock . I was worried at first because the recoil pad is 32 yrs old and I thought was too stiff but after shooting it , it works just fine . I wouldnt mind finding a Fibermark right hand in 300 WBY for my older brother . He really likes my rifle and says hes thinking he may need a Weatherby in the future .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts