Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Months ago I wrote several of you when you sent me in ideas to correct a rifle that would shoot light bullets in a 1/2 inch MOA group. Like 125 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. I installed a new trigger. But with heavy bullets it was terrible. A complete no go. Finally I gave the rifle to a friend who had been doing triggers for lots of his fellow small bore shooting group. After adjusting and calibrating the new trigger, he checked the bedding blocks on my new Choate sniper stock. The front one was not squared. So he rebedded the entire rear end of my stock with Brownells Accraglass.
The end result is that last Friday I shot a .524 group with 168 grain bullets. I did have to raise the sight on my scope, but she repeated the same 3 shot group at .527. I think one of those shots, the first one, was my fault. So after taking the rifle off my shooting rest, and using my Versa-Pod I shot targets from 100 yards and out. (mostly golf balls) I'm delighted to report that my police sniper rifle now delivers when needed. BTW, the triggers sold by Rifle Basix when properly installed and adjusted are awesome. Mine breaks at 1 1/2 pounds with no back lash, no creep, and it breaks like glass. I was almost at the point of rebarreling that Savage, but thanks to some great work I saved myself a lot of cash. To all of you who were so helpful with that rifle, thanks!
Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been posting for quite a few months. I went through a severe illness and am still fighting to get completely well, but it is starting to look like the end is in sight. It's great to be back. :)

longrangehunter

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Glad to hear your rifle is shooting the bigger bullets well now, but more importantly, it's good to see you back and recovering from whatever was ailing you. Are you going to be well enough to hunt this fall?

·
Banned
103 Posts
what broom said.. nothing like good health ..most only appreciate it after going through a severe illness.congrats, an glad you got you getting your health back..now you getting right ,the guns right..you a lucky an blessed man.have at her an have fun..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally my Savage is right.

Glad to hear your rifle is shooting the bigger bullets well now, but more importantly, it's good to see you back and recovering from whatever was ailing you. Are you going to be well enough to hunt this fall?
Howdy and thanks to you and Pawpaw Tony for the best wishes. It does make a huge difference when you feel well. I had a colonoscopy as well and they took out 6 polyps, one which was nearly blocking my colon. I'm still having a few minor issues but they seem to be working out as well. And yes, I plan to hunt deer and turkey this fall with my new flintlock fowler in 20 gauge or.62 cal. which means I can shoot round ball or shot. I still need to work up a load for her, and that means finding the right patch and ball combo. I refuse to use those funny guns they are now selling as black powder rifles! :) I'll probably end up using 70 grains of GOEX 2 F behind a felt wad treated with beeswax and bear oil. That seems to help smoothbores shoot better at longer ranges. BTW, Bobby Christian makes an aesome fowler or rifle and at reasonable prices. If I sound excited I am!

I'm taking my wife (who is mending from leg surgey after she broke her leg)and my dog and going across Wolf Creek mountain in my 4WD where I may hunt this fall. The smell of the forest is going to be great! At 66 I am really starting to enjoy the woods more than ever.

longrangehunter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts