Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow shooters, finally decided which pistol. Went with the regular encore over the contender.Picked the 14 inch stainless barrel in the .44 magnum. Decided to hold off on the second barrel and save the money for some new reloading equipment instead. Also felt right with this caliber because it will match my perticular deer hunting;thick brush and shorter than 100 yards distance.Now I have to wait about 4 months for the special order barrel to be made. In the mean time I will be doing some searching for reloading equipment on what and what not to buy. Any tips or pit falls I should be looking out for in my first time buying? I already have the newest addition of ABCs of reloading and 49 ed of Lymans reload ordered. Im sure I will have more questions on this new venture so I will be sure to check out the reload forum.
I want to thank everyone who helped in making my decision on which pistol and caliber to buy and will certainly let yous know how it shoots. Will be in touch, Steve

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Steve, congrats on making a great choice of caliber to suit the kind of hunting you do! I'm sure you'll really enjoy shooting the 44Mag, especially when you start seeing what kind of groups can be achieved with that long barrel and the handload of your choice. I started with the 240gr XTP...and never tried anything else. They aren't tricky to load with, gave the ~1600fps I was looking for and have been both accurate and "authoritative" when they reach the target.

Be sure to include pictures as you start to do range work and load development!

Jason

·
Banned
105 Posts
Good choice on the gun. You will enjoy it, and with the encore you can add to the collection with whatever you want! Pistol or rifle.
As for reloading gear, I would start off with the RCBS kit. Good quality stuff and you can build on your supplies. I think the only thing you will need to add to it is the dies and a vibratory cleaner.
As for dies, with the 44 you don't need to spend the money on high end dies. Pick up some Lee carbide dies, some powder and some 240 grain cast bullets. Go from there.
Enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.