Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally found a load that worked well for my 45/70 Marlin 1895 XLR. After being dissapointed with the gun/load combo's accuracy, no matter what I tried, since I started shooting it I finally had a batch of reloads group to my expectations. Sad thing was I ran out of them too soon. Went home and loaded up 50 just like this. 45.5 grains of reloader 7 topped with a 300 gr remington JHP, winchester brass.

This 4 shot group was 2 - 1/4 " center to center from 100 yards. Well turns out the club range is only 98 yards when I lazed it. :) I'm not disapointed anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup it's a bit of a buiser but the results speak for themselves. I put the picture of that group in my desktop slide show widget on my office comp. I get a smile on my face every time it comes up in the slide show. Not sure why the group tightened up so much at the powder charge but I'm not changing a thing. think it's time to go look for some Hogs.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I don't have any pictures handy but I use the Remington 300 gr hollow point in front of 53 gr H-4198 for 2100 fps. These loads average 1.5 inches at 100 yards out of my Marlin GG. I have found that H-4198 and RE-7 are very close but the H-4198 produces much less recoil. My buddy took a couple of deer with this load this year and said they folded up like a cheap lawn chairs.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks jodum, I'll have to pick up some H4198. around here it is just as much about what works best as it is about what you can find. Had to hunt 3 stores just to find CCI 200 primers. Lucky cabelas had RL 7 in stock but that is a 1 1/2 hour drive each way. I hate to pay shipping. I would have shot a picture of the saucer size groups I was shooting before but my wall of shame is full up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts