Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted the other day about wanting to work up a lightweight load for a 243 I recently purchased, with the intention of having my 10 yr old grand daughter use it next year.

Well, I wanted to try factory loads in it first, and I wanted a doe or two for making up some sausage (our legal limit in middle Tennessee is three does a day) so today I took it out for a little still hunting. I was using 100 grain Winchester Super X loads.

I was slowly working my way along a two-track logging road at the bottom of a brushy bowl, when I heard deer moving my way. The first I saw was a young 8 point that was a borderline shooter. As soon as I saw he had two does travelling with him, I ignored him and tried to get a shot at one of the does. The kept moving from my right to my left, and were gettign higher and higher up the hill side. After about 10 minutes I got off a 100 yard shot at the larger doe. I watched her run back to the right for a couple seconds, then lost her. About 10 minutes later I saw a deer near where I last saw the doe, and it was sneaking right to left. I didn't know if it was the same deer I'd shot at, but I quickly decided to shoot in case it was the wounded deer. It dropped in its tracks with a shattered shoulder.

When I got up there, I discovered that the first one was laying only about 20 yards from the second one.

The deer are pretty small, so I can't tell for sure the performance of the round on larger bucks, but it sure worked well on these two. And the rifle had good accuracy to let me slip the shots through some mighty small openings in the brush, as you might tell from the attached picture of the hillside. Tough to see, but there's a little red "1" and a red "2" where the deer were standing.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Congratulations! Every deer I have seen shot with the .243 has been DRT! Have yet to trail one. The doe in my avatar was taken by my daughter with a .243 at about 95-100 yards. It dropped so fast I had to take a double take to make sure she had hit it.
Dan

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The .243 is a great, fun LITTLE cartridge. It's a great round for small varmints. Ofcourse we all know the .270 Win is the best Coyote gun. Congrats on the deer though !

On another note, my brother's 11 year old son hunts with a 7mm-08 model Seven Remmy. Anything below .284 is a varmint rifle...hehehehe

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm a big believer in the .243 - beautiful caliber - low recoil and with a bullet like yours or a Nosler Partition it will get the job done for sure. Tang will never change his view - "Over Kill or nothing at all."

·
Registered
654 Posts
Congrats on the two does. Sounds like the 243 did good by you. My son has yet to pull the trigger this year, but I know with a decent shot and the little 100gr Partitions in the spout, there isn't a deer that is going to go too far. Scotty

·
Registered
488 Posts
The .243 is a great, fun LITTLE cartridge. It's a great round for small varmints. Ofcourse we all know the .270 Win is the best Coyote gun. Congrats on the deer though !

On another note, my brother's 11 year old son hunts with a 7mm-08 model Seven Remmy. Anything below .284 is a varmint rifle...hehehehe
LOL! In a lot of areas, deer are called "corn rats" so you could be right ;)
I bet my daughter would argue with you though :D
Dan

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you want to see what a .243 with a 100 gr.

bullet will do, check out my daughters deer! She shot it in it's bed at 150 yds. A .243 with a good bullet, (she was using a 100 gr. Federal) will take down any deer. BTW her's scored 175!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
From what I've learned, the 243 is a somewhat underrated cartridge. With the right bullet and good shot placement, it is capable of taking some startlingly large animals. The 243 is responsible for countless moose up in my neck-o-the-woods. I bought my son a Rossi youth combo with a 243 barrel. He's 9 and rather small for his size, thus the reason for my choice of 243 due to it's mild recoil. I handload 100 gr. Nosler partitions and will limit him to 100 yards or less. I intend to let him take his first moose with it, or possibly a black bear. I will of course be backing him up with either my 450 Marlin or the 300 win mag, but I am confident he can get the job done with his 243. He's quite a little marksman with that thing.

Congrats on your does - I hope you and your grand daughter have many successful hunts!:cool:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Love to see the daughters getting things done. Few men will be "good enough" for Nalgi's and Oneeye's daughters. You are both blessed as I am to have a daughter(s) to pass the torch to.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I have shot 100's of deer and hogs with the 243 Win.
We all know that hogs are a large thick animal and the 243 puts them down just file, Thank you.

If that was the only caliber I had, it wouldn't bother me a bit
Congratulations

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
did you get pass through on either of those shots?
i asked because the federal fussions i have been useing lately get complete pass throughs everytime even through the shoulder.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Love to see the daughters getting things done. Few men will be "good enough" for Nalgi's and Oneeye's daughters. You are both blessed as I am to have a daughter(s) to pass the torch to.
Thanks buddy! I am truly blessed that both my kids love hunting. My daughter is a natural shooter. It is amazing how quickly she took to shooting the rifle. Her and I are headed up to a friend's farm tomorrow evening to see if she can make that .243 "sing" again ;)
Dan

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey, Tang, some of us like those LITTLE cartridges!

I have shot deer well beyond 200 yds with my .243 with no problems. It is a great deer round, no ifs, ands or buts!

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Hey, Tang, some of us like those LITTLE cartridges!

I have shot deer well beyond 200 yds with my .243 with no problems. It is a great deer round, no ifs, ands or buts!

Im just playing around as usual. The .243 is a marvelous little performer, and my Dad's all time favorite cartridge.

·
Registered
274 Posts
.243 is a great cal. I use to shoot piggeons a 200yds. w/mine. never took it out for deer though on account of were not allowed to shoot 30 or 40 deer a day up here.LOL

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
did you get pass through on either of those shots?
i asked because the federal fussions i have been useing lately get complete pass throughs everytime even through the shoulder.

Both were passthroughs...both shattered the shoulder and the upper part of the leg. I could see the property line just up the hill from them, and I awanted to anchor them. The high shoulder shot usually does the trick.

Very pleased with the performance, both terminal and accuracy.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The first time I witnessed a 243 being used on game, I was out visiting my brother in law just west of Billings MT. First we "fed the magpies" at a prairiedog town, then next day went antelop hunting. He was using a .243 Ruger M77 with a fixed 4 power scope. He dropped an antelop with one shot. I paced it off at 324 yards.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the 243 would have to be the most popular round ever introduced into australia BAR NONE.very accruate,long barrel life etc.-you dont need a muzzle braked cannon to shoot deer.-FACT.--a good gun for a novice,who wont develop a flinch.--good luck and good hunting with the 243. just a thought in passing. there are some shooters who profess to love the power and recoil of magnums,yet then fit a muzzle brake and say-"kicks as gentle as a 243".----just stirring!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts