Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I posted a bit ago in a now-closed thread about ammo shortages. I've been looking for 9mm and .223 which are getting ridiculously hard to find where I'm at. The local shortage forced me to get online to find ammo, and I can't believe some of the price-gouging out there.

One of my buddies showed me a site called GunBot.net that basically scours the net for bullet prices. The prices, stock levels, and sites to buy are all listed. It's a bit of a buffer against some of the blatant price gouging going on.

Ammo in stock is still more expensive than it used to be, but at least we can see where the lowest prices are.

BTW I don't work for gunbot... it's pretty basic and seems like something somebody is doing out of their basement. Generally when sites like this come up and get popular, it can drive prices down, which is a good thing! I've been getting ammo on gunbroker and it seems like gunbot finds lower prices than the auctions go for, and I've had good luck with it so far.

Hopefully this helps!

·
Registered
978 Posts
> I can't believe some of the price-gouging out there.

It is called supply and demand. If I was smart enough to buy it at $.031 a round and it is completely unavailable at any price, why should I sell it unless I get a price that is tempting to me? Maybe after you pay me $.12 a round because you can't buy it anywhere else, then next time you might be a wise ant and buy it yourself at $.04 a round.

If you want to avoid being a true grass hopper, I suggest you use the current ammo shortage and start thinking about food prices. You can live without ammo, you can't live without food.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use the gunbot.net site myself to find 44mag ammo in stock. It works well. There is a way you can flag ads if they don't have in stock. Great tool IMO. There are a couple of other sites that have sprouted up do to current conditions. Same sort of deal. If you understand anything about the internet....websites....and bots.......you'll see how this works.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
This current wave of panic buying & price gouging on ammunition is only going to hurt the sport of Hunting & target shooting. These individuals, buying-up ammunition as a means to speculate, are doing great harm to these two sports. What if they (Congress & Senate) pass a bill prohibiting the private selling of ammunition (?) Then they will be stuck with ammunition that they can't legally sell.

·
Registered
970 Posts
> I can't believe some of the price-gouging out there.

It is called supply and demand. If I was smart enough to buy it at $.031 a round and it is completely unavailable at any price, why should I sell it unless I get a price that is tempting to me? Maybe after you pay me $.12 a round because you can't buy it anywhere else, then next time you might be a wise ant and buy it yourself at $.04 a round.

If you want to avoid being a true grass hopper, I suggest you use the current ammo shortage and start thinking about food prices. You can live without ammo, you can't live without food.
Actually, no it's not. While it is true the value of anything is what someone else is willing to pay for it, this is an artificial "demand" that will not last; hence, the charge of gouging. The companies that are doing this - and several have been pointed out - still have some ammo in stock. Their sales are obviously going pretty slow because those willing to pay those panic prices have pretty much already done so. The rest are willing to wait it out. What they have done is basically risk long-term customers for short-term gain. No matter what business school you went to, that is bad ju-ju.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,954 Posts
The local pawn shop owner who does more business selling guns, reloading supplies and ammo, said he won't raise his prices just to take advantage of the "shortage". He wants people to remember who stuck with them through this trying time.

I hope the people who are doing all the hoarding end up tripping over their excesses and end up needing psychiatric help or worse end up on an episode of "Hoarders"

Rj

Reactions: Tnhunter and Davers

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I just shared an email with a good friend who was bemoaning the fact that there was so little handgun ammo available, after just buying a new handgun. Of course I have noticed that as well, but I cannot stand the fact that a lot of people spouting off online about how the lack of cartridge "A's" availability is horrible, but they sure are glad they have several thousand rounds of cartridge "B" squirreled away. So, just who is the cause here?? :rolleyes:

I've seen ammo companies blasted because they refuse to sell a large amount to one customer, instead choosing to sell a smaller amount to multiple customers. You think that is unfair? I say it's a company trying their best to serve as many customers as they can and perhaps also stopping secondary price-gougers as well. But that's just me....;)

Reactions: Davers

·
Registered
670 Posts
Ammo hoarding is a major factor in getting us to where we are now.

It happend a few years ago with primers. A local gun shop told me a guy came in looking for primers and bought all he had. He was not aware of a shortage until he tried to order more. The guy came back the next week and wanted 50,000. He would not sell him anymore. He said he has to save some for his regular customers. That is why I pay a few more dollars and shop with him instead of going elsewhere.

It will eventually catch up and those that have hoarded will be sitting on a stockpile they paid twice what it was worth.

I load most of everything that I shoot anyway and keep just enough loaded to keep me pulling the trigger when I need to.

Darin

·
Registered
22 Posts
finding ammo

I was at a gun show in Vt. Sunday and they had all off the 308, 223 7mm you could lug, and at a reasonable price.

We are our own worst enemy...................................................

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does this ammunition frenzy remind anyone of the "Beanie Baby" frenzy at McDonald's a few years back? People were waiting in line, fighting in line, and throwing away uneaten Happy Meals just to get these precious and valuable toys.

Fast forward to the present, and the local thrift stores run by charities have these same Beanie Babies in a box marked "Free". Now, we will never see any .22 long rifle ammunition put out on the curb and marked "Free", but the same people who bought Beanie Babies (or MREs and generators during Y2K)are the same ones buying a Bushmaster rifle and 1,000 round of .223 ammunition.

This too shall pass...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a noob to the forum, it's good to hear both sides of the story. I can understand having a few thousand rounds to plink away and for personal preparedness if something drastic were to happen, but hoarding tens of thousands of rounds to barter in a doomsday situation seems a little extreme to me. Then again, if it all hits the fan then those people will be kings. If not, they'll be out thousands of dollars. I can see the logic in both the personal preparedness and the greed of it. I do believe the hoarding is harming the industry, but maybe they're on to something? I don't know. I definitely hope things normalize soon... as I believe the majority of "hot button" political issues like gun control and equality issues (not getting into that) are a smoke screen for back-door-under-the-table type of government action.

I take note of the folks on gunbot who still sell at market price (so they're not just selling for nothing, because I'm pretty sure components are expensive now, too) but don't gouge. I'm happy to pay around 80-85 cents per round of .223. That seems to be right around the going rate for auction sites right now. Market price is fair, but $1.20 to $2.00 a round is ridiculous.

@Ram Rod, what other bot sites have you found? These things are awesome resources and the bigger the pool the better for buyers. I would love to know if you've got a minute.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Components are also just as hard to find and when you do, they are marked up just like the factory ammo!:( I purchased some ammo just before the big price increase on things. I had my power purchased over a year ago. However, bullets weather jacketed or hardcast have gone up also in price.:rolleyes:

This add-on is just for those who don't know, I visited several gunstores in my area and reloading bullets are hard to come by it seems. Now even those bullets that have been sitting on the shelves for over a year mind you, they too have been marked up in price. So go figure!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
> Actually, no it's not.

Actually, it is, supply and demand.

For the people with personal stashes, they pretty much do not care if the price falls to 1/2 of what they paid for it ... because at least they have it. Those people are unlikely to ever give it up. For those speculating on the prices, they will give it up for the right price, that is supply and demand. They will sell as soon as the price starts to fall. There are some people buying it just to keep it out out of the market, such as DHS. Same as they did with MREs and freeze dried food.

Some buy oil, some buy food, some buy ammo. The real danger is not the lack of ammo, it will be the lack of food.

That being said, I picked up some Eley .22lr for $18.95/100 at sportsmansguide.com for the ccw stuff, I like brand name stuff better for that then using Federal bulk. I really wanted CCI mini mags, but, everyone is out of that and I am almost out myself. Going to fire 50 rounds and see how it does and then load up the magazines. SMG is probably out of it by now, you have to call to get it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Does this ammunition frenzy remind anyone of the "Beanie Baby" frenzy at McDonald's a few years back? People were waiting in line, fighting in line, and throwing away uneaten Happy Meals just to get these precious and valuable toys.

Fast forward to the present, and the local thrift stores run by charities have these same Beanie Babies in a box marked "Free". Now, we will never see any .22 long rifle ammunition put out on the curb and marked "Free", but the same people who bought Beanie Babies (or MREs and generators during Y2K)are the same ones buying a Bushmaster rifle and 1,000 round of .223 ammunition.

This too shall pass...
I have four of those Beanie babies if anyone is interested... Free? Hardly. Thinking about putting them on EBay.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe in about six months time supplies will be back to normal but the going price will be higher than what it was when this started. I have had supplies on hand and haven't tried to buy any ammo or compents since this happened this time. I try to have enough components for my rifles and shotguns to be able to shoot for two to five years in case of shortages.

With that said YES it isn't only supply and demand going on it is also PRICE GOUGING AND HOARDING. Hopefully time will bite people where it hurts that did these things to the rest of the people.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I find the shortage to be caused, at least partly, by buyers buying way more than they actually need, in other words stockpiling. Yes, this is America and yes we are free to make choices such as these, even if they do affect fellow shooters & hunters. I find the idea of buying all one can get their hands on annoying at the least and disgusting at the worst. Sorry, I've simply never been of the "Hurray for me and **** you!" mindset and that's exactly how I see those that clean out every ammo counter they can.

I do not think I've purchased more than a box or two of ammo in the last 4-5 months (since well before the Newtown tragedy) and I'd figure I could likely hunt to my heart's content, without buying another box, until I am no longer able to. I would, however, like to be able to buy a box or two of .22LR to hunt squirrels with and am notably bothered when I see some dirtbag bragging online that he has 19,000 .22LR rounds stockpiled. Screw it, I'll use a SG for my squirrel hunting and I hope that gentleman(?) chokes on his stockpile.

Reactions: Davers

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I believe in about six months time supplies will be back to normal but the going price will be higher than what it was when this started. I have had supplies on hand and haven't tried to buy any ammo or compents since this happened this time. I try to have enough components for my rifles and shotguns to be able to shoot for two to five years in case of shortages.

With that said YES it isn't only supply and demand going on it is also PRICE GOUGING AND HOARDING. Hopefully time will bite people where it hurts that did these things to the rest of the people.
I really don't see any increase in ammunition or reloading supplies until ALL the Anti-Gun Democrats & Republicans are voted out-of-office. Then manufactures might be able to catch-up on meeting demands and have decent supplies stocked on Dealer's shelves.

·
Registered
978 Posts
> I see some dirtbag bragging online that he has 19,000 .22LR

That all? Not even a two year supply for some families.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alternatives?

Does anybody know of any other sites/resources like Gunbot.net? From what I've seen it's the only site that keeps track of real-time bullet prices/stock on hand. If there are others out there I'd love to know.

I was at Wal Mart the other day and a guy struck up a conversation with me. It turns out he wanted to sell me Wolf .223 for .75 cents per round out of his trunk. I've since been back a few times, and he is usually there hanging out by the empty ammo cases, waiting for people to try to sell his ammo to. He's there so often that he is either really desperate to get rid of the stuff or he's making a killing.

If you ran into this guy, what would you do?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts