Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
looking for a fine crosshair recticle scope w/o a dot in the middle. going to use for pdawgs. any suggestion on brands? want atleast up to a 16x scope.
For my .223's, I have two scopes which I like very much for shooting PD's. The first is a 4-16 Mueller with Mil-dot. It has 1/8" adjustments. Have had one since they first came out. Reallly like it. The second is a Swift 6-18 Premier with Mil-dot. Also another great scope for PD's. You could buy them both for $500 total. Like I said. Stay away from the Weavers.:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
For my .223's, I have two scopes which I like very much for shooting PD's. The first is a 4-16 Mueller with Mil-dot. It has 1/8" adjustments. Have had one since they first came out. Reallly like it. The second is a Swift 6-18 Premier with Mil-dot. Also another great scope for PD's. You could buy them both for $500 total. Like I said. Stay away from the Weavers.:)
May I ask what is wrong with the Weaver scopes? Do you have first hand experience with using them? I do and I feel the Grand Slam series of scopes is one of the best buys for the money out there right now. I have Grand Slams in 4.75X , 1.5-5x , 4.5-14x , and in 6-20x. I have never had a problem with any of them and two are mounted on some pretty heavy recoiling rifles. The two 6-20x that I have are a standard duplex and a fine CH. Both are mounted on varmint rigs and will shoot with the best of them. They hold their zero and have great glass and you can find them for a little over $300. Not bad money for what you get when you start comparing other scopes in the same power range with the same features. I also have a Classic Extreme model in a 2-10x50 with an illuminated German #4 crosshair that has glass as good as any scope I've seen. I have owned Leupolds too , so I can compare through experience. I have had Leupolds and Bushnell scopes fail on me but never a Weaver yet. IMO , you badmouth Weaver and mention Mueller and Swift...when if comparing a Grand Slam or the new Super Slam series from Weaver you aren't even in the same class of scope.

I see a lot of badmouthing of Weaver. Other scope lines too , but I always wonder where those comments come from. I never hear WHY you should "stay away from Weaver" so I often wonder if the person making that statement really knows what they are talking about or if they are simply repeating some gunshop gossip they overheard once upon a time.

Flatlander,

There are a lot of good scopes out there that would suit your needs. The one thing I tell everyone asking about scopes is to get out to a store with a wide selection of scopes and start looking through everything you can to see for yourself what you like or dislike. Everyone sees through a scope a little different and asking on the internet about "which scope should I buy" is like asking someone to pick out a pair of boots for you.

Jeff

·
Registered
293 Posts
I didn't see the other post before this one. I see now that KT29 is talking about the V series Weaver. He may be right about the dot...I have never used that series of scope. The fine crosshair on my Grand Slam is VERY fine. You can pick which part of a 22 hole you want to aim at when target shooting. I doubt you will cover a PD's eye at 500 yards with it. Also , the V series is somewhat outdated technology , and does not have a fast focus eyepiece and it more than likely doesn't have the same glass or coatings that you will see in the higher end of Weavers line.

·
Banned
107 Posts
I didn't see the other post before this one. I see now that KT29 is talking about the V series Weaver. He may be right about the dot...I have never used that series of scope. The fine crosshair on my Grand Slam is VERY fine. You can pick which part of a 22 hole you want to aim at when target shooting. I doubt you will cover a PD's eye at 500 yards with it. Also , the V series is somewhat outdated technology , and does not have a fast focus eyepiece and it more than likely doesn't have the same glass or coatings that you will see in the higher end of Weavers line.
jkbt1, yes the Weaver V-16 with the Ballistic .223 reticle is the Weaver I was referring to. The dots are not very conducive to long range shooting at small targets. I do believe the Grandslams have some pretty good reviews.:)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Check out the Leupold's website for different types of reticles.

·
Banned
18 Posts
looking for a fine crosshair recticle scope w/o a dot in the middle. going to use for pdawgs. any suggestion on brands? want atleast up to a 16x scope.
Keep your eye on the ads here: http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-bin/cl...eadlines&category=Rifle+Scopes&query=category
It's the Classified ads on www.benchrest.com there are always great priced varmint and target scopes listed there......there's even an ad for the new Sightron 10X-50X-60MM...now they are trying to catch up with what Leupold/Premier did prior to Dick's passing, making a 50X scope the main stay. Even March scopes pop up every once in awhile, I have it bookmarked and usually check every day for any deals.......like the 30x-80x-60mm March.

Check out the rest of the classifieds ads, it's free to view and buy as items are listed with a contact email or phone number, great gun deals also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.