Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever had an idea that just made sense and wonder why nobody's doing it?

I'm sitting at the bench the other night pulling down some ammunition and had this brain storm. Can I get better accuracy from factory loads by partly unloading a round and then run it thru the press to seat the bullet long?

Might be useful?

My .375 likes bullets that are well out from the cannelure.
My .30 30 doesn't like anything...

Maybe I can gain something from the best loads (factory) seated long with a crimp afterward?

Should I keep working on the load and forget the hairbrained stuff...?

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
In the old days, would load "Mexican Match" (how it got that name, i do not know...why not Hungarian Match or Bali Match?). Would pull 30-06 FMJ bullets and simply load commercial bullets (of the same or slightly lighter weight) in their place.

Only problems cam from just what you supose doing. What less presure you gain from slightly more volume (when seating bullets out) can be less that the increase from seating the bullet closer to the lands. So long as you keep an eye out towards this possible pressure increase, shouldn't cause you any pressure problems.

If that 30-30 is fed by a tube magazine, it's going to be particular about OAL. One of the least fun things to do is to un-jam a 30-30 that was fed a round just a bit too long to feed into the carrier.
-------
Occurs to me that what you propose doing is about the same amount of work as actually loading the ammo from scratch...what you gain in powder charging and resizing time you lose in un-seating those bullets.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My concept is to use my kinetic puller and just hit it a couple times to bring the bullet out, then reseat it to be .020-.030 longer. I'm shooting single shot only here. If I leave the bullet longer by this amount will I loose cup pressure? Will this cause unburnt powder to accumulate in the barrel? I am finding better accuracy, slightly lower point of impact and a little more residue than I feel I should be.

The general idea is that I may be able to buy factory ammo in a pinch and use this technique to gain accuracy.

It may be a waste of time, especially if the bullets come completely out of the loaded case.

Interesting...

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
In most cases, seating the bullet closer to the lands increases pressure more than the reduction given by the increased volume of longer seating. Usually not a great deal of pressure difference.

May get better accuracy, may not.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Unless you're shooting way beyond the practical range of either of these cartridges, I'm talking hunting ranges not target, the accuracy of the factory round should be more than sufficient. I can't see dinking around with the bullets being seated farther out in a pinch, because you'd have to have your handloading equipment, in the pinch, to do it. You will also still need to crimp your bullets, and you'll have no cannelure to do it with. I would just keep developing your loads, once you have one that does what you need it to, load a ton of them so you don't run out. Your 30 WCF may be having accuracy problems that are due to things other than ammunition, so you might want to see if you have a mechanical accuracy problem before you work too hard with the different loads, provided you've been trying for a while with poor results. The barrel bands that hold the magazine tube to the barrel, if that is the type of firearm you're using, can cause problems with grouping in lever guns as the barrel heats up/cools down. You might also want to examine your bench rest technique, as lever guns can be more demanding as to the method of bench rest shooting you use.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard that factory ammo is less accurate than hand loads as we all probably have. Is this due to a lack of uniformity or just the ability to fine tune the handload to the particular firearm?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
It depends on the factory load and the rifle in which you are firing it. The big plus of handloading is that you can tailor your loads to your individual rifle and have the ability to use premium bullets or those that are not available in factory ammunition. Some modern firearms are capable of being loaded to much higher pressure levels than the factory ammunition that is available for them, due to the cartridges possibility of being used in older, weaker fireams that where often intended for blackpowder use. Economy also plays a role for handloaders who are on a tighter budget. Sometimes a cast bullet or reduced velocity load is desired to make a paricular firearm more versatile. The factory ammunition is much improved over years past, as are the variey and quality of projectiles, but handloading is still the ultimate form of quality control. There are many reasons to handload, and all of them are justified for different shooters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts