Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hope i am in the right section. About to re-finish a Zasatva rifle stock. From the factory it is dry in the extreme. Want to do a Tru-Oil finish. My question is how to address the checkering. Obviously can't be sanded between coats and how to avoid the oil from pooling? Apply sparingly with a tooth brush and only do a couple coats? Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I’d look into taping of the checkering with masking tape, making sure that you get it nice and tight on the edges of the checkering

Reactions: RichardE

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
You can apply some oil to the checkering. Your first couple of coats should be cut a little with mineral spirits. Tru-Oil is one of my favorite finishes. Any excess can easily be dabbed up with a clean soft cotton cloth. Just clean the checkered area same as the rest of the stock and don't worry about sanding.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make's sense, thanks
You can apply some oil to the checkering. Your first couple of coats should be cut a little with mineral spirits. Tru-Oil is one of my favorite finishes. Any excess can easily be dabbed up with a clean soft cotton cloth. Just clean the checkered area same as the rest of the stock and don't worry about sanding.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
I've found that a toothbrush does work very well putting oil into checkered areas. I use Natchez Solution to feed all my wood stocks (40+). And a toothbrush works very well to help avoid pooling or missing some spots.

Good luck 👍

·
Registered
41 Posts
An important part before you apply your finish is to make sure the checkering is clean of all debris.
Then as said you can apply thinned finish as I’ve found that works best too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts