Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok .. lead is to expensive to wast ..
I need a fire forming load for my 35-300 .. let's just say 356.. to simplify the situation. I wanting to use 700x and say cream of wheat. . I have plenty of ..
Sure don't like the thought of wasting a primer. .

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Looks to me like there isn't a lot of 'fire forming' needed to go from a case formed with dies, to the final product for this round? So I guess if that were true, I'd be tempted to just use them as they came out of the dies. Have to start load development, somewhere, right?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right . MikeG. . But what I'm after is my head space on the 40° shoulder before loading to full potential. . Thanks

·
37,098 Posts
The difference looks like a crumb of a percent of case capacity.... and you probably need to get some preliminary data and find out what bullets the gun 'likes' anyway.... so.....

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
700X will work fine. What's the question?
The first thing I do is load a full bore bullet load to see what the case looks like when its right. Raise the FF load until they look the same. I'd start at 15 grains, but it'll probably take a little more.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys. . I've been loading these for many years now and have been doing all my fire form loads with 8gr. red dot and a 180gr lead bullet. BUT .. sence the price hike I'm not willing to sacrifice the lead anymore .. so I'm looking to save money .. Once I fire form my brass I'll load to full potential seal my primers and lock them away ..

·
37,098 Posts
I'm curious what the difference is in case capacity, between the die-formed cases, and the fully formed cases.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,521 Posts
Once I fire form my brass I'll load to full potential
I'm suspicious that "full potential" belongs on the same list as "I've done my research"... 😉

Why?

Reactions: Don Fischer

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok .. MikeG. . I get 59.6 fired and 58.2 unformed. . That's at overflow with tap water ..

·
37,098 Posts
So.... 2% more case capacity? If the chamber was 2% smaller, that would cost all of a half a percent of muzzle velocity, but the cases will expand and fit the chamber, anyway. Just like all cases do.

Just trying to save you a primer for fire-forming. I suspect if you work up your loads with un-formed cases, and then take the 'best' load and test it in once-fired cases, there will be no difference whatsoever, and it would only take you 5 extra primers/bullets and a bit of powder to find out.

Every re-sized case that will easily go into the chamber, is going to be 'fire-formed' anyway, to some extent. True for any cartridge.

"If it saves just one primer" ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. . MikeG. . I'm glad you ask about the difference between the two. formed and unformed. . I was curious myself. . But.. and I appreciate your thoughts on helping me save on primers. . I want load to potential and seal the primers till I have the 40° shoulder to head space on .. then I'll lock them away ..so questions is how many gr. Of 700x and what to top with .. ☺

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Darkker. . I've stated in post no. 6 that I've been loading for the 35-300 for many years .
Thousands of rounds .. just trying to find a new and cheap way to fireform .. Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
A small scrap of toilet paper, then grits then a gouge of candle wax to hold it all together.
IF there ANY primer back-out, destroy those cases and up the load until you get sharp corners at the shoulder.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grits is something I keep on hand.. always.
With extra butter and salt. . Thanks JBelk

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
I can only pass along what I've done for many years--- Any fast shotgun or pistol powder works, but Unique has always been the 'standard'.
Grits, COW and corn meal have been used. I'm sure other similar, organic, bulk-fluff stuff would work. I start with a quarter case full of fast powder, then filler then wax cap.
You'll love a boresnake after an afternoon of 'burning corn bread'.

My first step is to load several full-house, with bullet loads that I know are 'operational pressure'. Those form the 'standard' look that the pistol powder loads should have.
I admit I'm almost always guessing at the fire form load and try one at a time until I get the proper formation of the case. In an '06 size case, I start at 20 gr Unique. The last I did were a hundred .318 Westley Richards Accelerated Express cases (I just love the sound of that classic old caliber). I shot 23gr. of Unique to do those....and nearly get arrested. A new neighbor with binoculars saw me swinging a rifle around and heard the massive booms and assumed the Cedar Moths I was shooting with grits were big game bullets aimed at her! I had to demonstrate by shooting a cardboard box for the deputy and explain the process.

·
Premium Member
15,574 Posts
I'm just guessing grits are terrible for a suppressor (who burned the hoe cake?) and you REALLY need one when fireforming. It is loud!

Reactions: jimboro
1 - 20 of 42 Posts