Shooters Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
The same test run on AI factory brass would be very interesting.

You can fireform brass with about 22 grains of Unique, small 'separator wad' of toilet paper and the rest full of grits, COW and cap with a gouge of candle wax. The shoulder should be as sharp as when a bullet is fired. If rounded, up the charge.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Thanks. I'll look over there. I've got Nosler brass on order. I have enough of the Winchester brass here that I fire formed (with bullets) yesterday to do a few work up loads. I'll weight sort them, and pick the center ones to do the load workups.

My Nosler books are the 2nd and 5th edition. Speer, from way back..printed in '82. And an 8th edition Hornady book. Mostly internet nowadays anyways.

I got 200 cases from first run Nosler 280AI brass. I have Rem 280 brass and some Win nickle brass that I fire formed for first 280AI. Brass I got from Nosler is little round on the shoulders.

Well good luck

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Keep in mind a 8mm/06 loaded max is a fine hunting load, and a good fireforming to Ackley load at the same time..saves time and money..Otherwise use a 8 to 10 grs of Unique, whatever gives a fully formed case, a dab of Kleenex, cornmeal to fill and a waxed cookie cutter for a bullet, point gun up and shoot.. You will get a fully reformed 8mm Ackley Imp case..if not add another gr. of Unique..You can also use Bullseye, but I don't recall my bullseye load. Someone here probably knows the proper load of Bullseye, its very little I recall..

·
Registered
6 Posts
This could get long winded, so I'll cut to the meat.
I'm fireforming .280 Remington brass, new nickel plated stuff, to .280 AI.
I tried to do it without a bullet, "Cream of wheat"method, but ruined the first three pieces of brass trying to reform the .280 to .30 to resize back to .280 and leave a false shoulder. So, onto firing with a bullet.

Loaded a light load w H4895 and a 160 gr bullet. Set the bullet depth so it was .o10 into the lands. Per Nosler, spec said " Seat the bullet well into the rifling so that it makes good contact with the lands when the cartridge is chambered"

After firing my brass is .020 shorter than when I started. Is this normal?
Typically, forming to ai does make the brass shorter. As the shoulder and body expand, the brass moves from the forward part of the case. It’s happened when I’ve formed my 243ai, 280ai, 7x57ai, 257ai, and 250ai. Sounds like your chamber is fine

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I loaded my 8mm/06s for deer and elk with max loads, sometime ago I had JBelk punch out the gun to a 8mm/06 Ackley, fireformed about 100 of those loads for Ackleys..The rest I use for hunting and fireform as we go..They fireform clean and fully....I also have used a bit of Unique, corn meal, a dab of Kleenex, a dab of wax. and get fully formed cases...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts