Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an account on the Accurate Reloading forum about fire forming a 30-30 case to make shot shells for .41 mag. Despite my best efforts, the cases are not well formed. I have used 2.5, 5.5 and 7 grains of Unique. I have used toilet paper wads(no effect) and up to 100 grs of #8 shot. The loads of 5.5 grs of U with the 100 grs of #8 did more than anything else but left me with "lumpy" cases. Only one of the seven I started with looks reasonable.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jim,
Use either cream of wheat, or corn meal, as your buffer, instead of #8 shot. This will give you perfect results. I use this method to fireform .375 Win brass out of .30-30 cases. You can use canning wax to plug the mouth of the case. Hope this is useful to ya.
Jeff

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jeff,
I am assuming you put a wad of some sort on top of the powder and then fill the case with cream of wheat or corn meal?
The quickest burning power I have is Unique. What kind of a charge would you use?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jim,
You're absolutely right ! I use a 1"X1" square of dacron pillow stuffing, which is balled up and pushed down the cartridge with a nail, or stick. 5.5 grs. of Unique sounds about right, for a charge. Fill your case up to the top with the cream of wheat or corn meal. Then plug with the wax. Works for me !

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts