Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how many bullets come in a box of Bear Tooth's fire-lapping bullets?

does not seem to be mentioned on their sight and an email inquiry to them has gone unanswered.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I thought it was 5, but I could be way off.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Mine have always come in a box of 100. Good chance really big bullets would come in 50 to a box.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Make your own. Lapping compound is readily available from several sources . Midway being one. I use 600.800,& 1200 grit for polishing. These grits are very fine. If you have access to some cast bullets roll them between a piece of glass or steel plate & a putty knife. Apply about 4 to 5 lbs force while rolling them back & forth thru the polishing media. Shoot the bullets thru your barrel just fast ( sloooow ) enough to get them out the bore. I shoot 6 of the 600 grit & ten each of the 800 then 1200. When done you should have a mirror smooth bore.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Lapping

dom how much powder ,look up cast loads and shoot the minium charge?
If I knew exactly what you are shooting I could give a better estimate. For instance a .357 mag with 158 to 165 gr cast: 2 to 2 1/2 grs Alliant Red Dot/ Promo should work. I have used 3grs of Red Dot with 160g cast for years as a target ( 50 yds ) load in the .357 mag. So try 2 1/2 grs of Red Dot to start. See if that works in your piece. If so try 2 grs. l believe that 2grs will drive the bullet out of the ( 6" ) barrel . Also if you fill a cardboard box full of tightly packed rags to shoot into ( 5' ) you can recover every bullet you shot for a remelt. If you give me more info I could give you specific info. I've been doing fire lapping for over 30 years & am very glad to help. If needed I would be willing to cast some bullets for you, you just pay the postage.
Starting loads tend to be to fast. Dom

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I can help you with the 35 & the 308. With the 35 Rem you can use the same cast bullets you use for the .38Spl/357 mag. With the 158 to 165 gr cast use 4 grs of Alliant Red Dot/Promo powder. Place a pinch 1 1/2 to 2 grs of Dacron fiber over the powder to hold it in place. You can get this at any sewing outlet. Also available from an old sleeping bags. Coat bullets as I mentioned before & shoot. With the 308 a 150 to 180gr cast & properly coated with the polishing media, use 5 grs Red Dot & a pinch of Dacron over the powder then shoot. You can also use a little facial/ toilet paper over the powder if getting the Dacron is a problem. I don't have any 270 or 6mm bullet molds but the process wold be the same. 5 or so grs with the 270 & 4 grs with the 6mm. If I can be of more help feel free to ask.

·
Registered
598 Posts
According to the Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide, Marshall Stanton states that lapping bullets hardness should be in the range of 10 - 14 BHN. I think he strives for the middle of that range at 12 BHN to ensure even lapping of both the lands and the grooves. You don't want to use just any lead bullet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts