Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to firelap my Marlin 357 and 35 Remington and was wondering about what amount of Bullseye to use with a 148 gr HBWC. I was thinking of 2 grs with the .357 (16.5" bbl) and 3 grs with the 35 Remington (18.5" bbl). Do these charges sound about right? Also, how many rounds would be a good number to start with? Thanks, James.
PS- I will be using Clover 320 grit lapping compound.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
3 grains should be plenty for the .35 Rem. I've used that load. If I have to do it again, I'll probably try some at 2.5gr. just to see what happens.

I'd start with 2 gr. for the .357, and possibly go down a bit, depending on how fast the bullets were exiting and if you were getting leading. 2.5gr. is definitely too much.

1.5gr. works in the .357 - sometimes - in revolvers. Depends on the b/c gap. Of course you don't have this in a rifle so the lower charges may work OK.

For rifles, 20 rounds is a good start and then clean it, slug again, and re-evaluate. A really rough barrel may require a second dose.

For the second dose (if necessary), you can use slightly lighter powder charges because the bore will be smoother and bullets will go down it easier.

Oh and load the HB wadcutters backwards, to prevent any chance of blowing the skirt off and leaving it in the bore.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Your charges sound about right, although I'd use about 3.5 in the .35 Remington. 4.0 of Red Dot worked on a .303 British, and the bore volume is similar, considering the difference in barrel length.

I'd shoot 20, then clean the barrel and slug it. There's no point in removing more metal than necessary. I think I overdid my .30-06, as it's problem was excessive copper fouling, but it didn't have any tight spots. Copper fouling for the first 5 shots after lapping was dreadful, so I gave it another 20. I broke it in properly after those, and it stopped fouling excessively after 40 jacketed rounds.

Bye
Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts