Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall,
            I've put 100 405 grain SP's thru my Brockman Masterguide 45-70 and have your lapping compound and seater screw ready just friday I finally received my NEI 405gr FPGC mold in the mail and am going to cast some WW bullets sans gas check for lapping.  The powders I have on hand are WW231,Hodgdon universal clays,H110,varget,AA2200,H4350and IMR4895.  Can you recomend a range of starting charges for any of these that would be appropriatte? I have a chrono,so I can watch the speeds.    KevinNY

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Kevin,

I tend to shy away from ball type powders for lapping purposes.   They have a dubious reputation for secondary detonation type behavior in severe underloads that is unpredictable at best.   My favorite powder for lapping is Red Dot.   In your .45-70 5.0g of Red Dot should do the trick, if using W231 (against my better judgement) use the same charge, when seating the bullets as per instructions in the Tech Guide, having all bearing surfaces of the bullet contained within the case.   This will get you your desired velocity bracket for fire-lapping.

Let us know how your gun responds to lapping!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marshall,I guess I'll see if I can get someone to give me 100 grains of reddot instead of buying a pound.   Will let you know how it turns out,when looking thru the clean barrel now the tools marks are unbelievable and a few tight spots are plain to feel with a patch of a jag.  KevinNY

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mr. Stanton:

Along the same lines, are Blue Dot or 2400 appropriate for lapping loads?  I don't have any Red Dot.  This is going to be my next project, when I feel I can spend more money on improving my guns!  It's becoming addictive!

I never even considered fire-lapping until I discovered Beartooth, but now, it seems to me to be a necessity.  I too, can feel tight places when running a jag with patch through my 45-70 bore.  I can even see some tooling marks and rough places!  Unbelievable!  I now know why it seems impossible to get that bore clean.  I've cleaned 3 times since last shooting, and still am getting dirty patches after the bore brush.  I'll have to try the techniques you detail in the Technical Guide.

I almost don't want to shoot it again until I lap the bore, so I don't have to spend so much time cleaning again (almost!  I do have some Speer 400 gr. handloads and some 405 gr. cast just sitting there on the shelf!).

Thanks for the help!

Ray Floyd

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Guys:
   If you don't have any Red Dot handy, you can use the same weight of 700-X or maybe half a grain more Green Dot. All three powders are very popular in 12 gauge target loads and they're easily ignited flake powders. If you just need one ounce for firelapping, pay a vist to your local trap, skeet or sporting clays club.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just remembered I have some WW super target shotshell powder,how about that?  KevinNY

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Ray,

Blue Dot will work in your .45-70 for lapping loads, although a bit slow for my liking, it will work.   Use 6.5 grains for startes, and adjust the load from there.   This should get you into the ballpark however... remember, airgun velocities only!

You'll be amazed what happens when you get rid of those tight places in the bore when lapping.   Especially when shooting a diet of cast bullets.

Blessings,

Marshall

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mr. Stanton:

Thanks for the info.  I was re-reading the Technical Guide last night (lapping looks easier upon looking at it again), and saw that you recommend Bullseye, which I have as well.  So I'll use either Bullseye or Blue Dot, maybe use a patch like you also recommend.

Still haven't ordered lapping stuff yet.  Gotta let the wife spend some money sometime, too, although it hurts!  I can just see how much better it would be to spend that money on some bullets, supplies, etc.!  That's marriage, I guess.

Regards,
Ray Floyd

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marshall, I see that alliant lists some loads for the 45 colt ,which I also shoot ,with RED DOT so I'm goint to break down and buy a can to lap with and for some plinking loads with the pistol.  I'll let you know how it turns out!   KevinNY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts