Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As indicated, I outsmarted myself again -- which I've found isn't very hard to do.

A previous post on fire lapping suggested what I thought was a good, labor saving idea -- use a wood plane to roll the bullet to impregnate them, an easier process than using the smaller 5" piece of steel. You can really get some leverage with the plane! In fairness to the individuals involved in the post, Marshall commented that you might need to be concerned about compressing the bullet so that it wasn't in the necessary oversize condition. The gentleman with the "wood plane" idea responded he anticipated that and put a block on the bottom plate of a size to prevent compression.

As you might have guessed, I skipped the step about the block to prevent compression. And didn't mic. the impregnated bullets "because they were really messy"! I shot 24 rounds and was disappointed to find when I reslugged the barrel that the "barrel into frame" constriction was still there. Shot another 20 rounds of the nicest looking impregnated bullets you ever saw and the constriction was still there. So I rolled one of the bullets this morning with out the paste and found that my .434" bullet was now a .429 to .430 bullet.

I'm not comfortable with my ability to accurately use a wood block to prevent the undersizing, so back to "everything in moderation" and the little 5" steel plate. But you should see those impregnated bullets done with the wood plane -- they were some of the nicest undersize impregnated lapping bullets you've ever seen.

Dan

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Oh well,

The only thing you could be concerned about with an undersized slug is effectively lapping or removing the metal from the lands only and not removing much metal from the groove area. This will cause the bore diameter to increase while letting the groove diameter stay as is. The slug MUST engage all barrel surfaces somewhat equally to remove equal amounts of metal so to speak.

Carried to an extreme, you'll wear down the land tops significantly.

Back to the drawing board.

Regards, Ray

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alan,

I thought I'd trade them in on a slightly used Redhawk I know is for sale -- you said they're worth &#36100?

Dan

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Contender,

I figured by the time I was through with them, they went down the barrel sideways, thus getting land and groove. That's my story and I'm sticking to it because anything else is too painful. I was thinking about asking Marshall for some .450" bullets -- would give me room for some bullet compression and a nice long surface area on the bullet by the time I got'em back down to .434".

Dan

·
Banned
572 Posts
Thanks DOK,

I was having one of them horrible days and you just made it quite tolerable.

Laughter IS good for the soul!

I would be the barrel is now clean enough for a good lapping job eh?

Scotty

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,926 Posts
Keep rolling, and buy a .41 mag to use them in!

·
Registered
37 Posts
DOK,
I was the person sugesting the wood plane to lap my bullets, and just to let you know the wood block was not tho keep from reducing the size of the bullet just to keep from tipping and rounding the edges of the driving bands.  I felt the handles on the plane were more comfortable than trying to hold on to that metal plate.
I did not use the handles for added leverage.  My lapping bullets turned out great and I am sorry you had bad results.

Marty

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The part of the story that I haven't told is that I was going to complain to Marshall that he was remiss in not alerting us to how much hard work this bullet impregnation is ...... for retired office workers anyway. After about 10/15 bullets, I took a break to let my big muscles relax from all the high pressure efforts I was putting out! It's hard to explain how proud I was of my pushing and pressing and all around working hard to get those good looking impregnated bullets. I'm thinking about  using a hammer to "tap" on one end to get them back to .434"

Dan

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marty,

I think the wood plane is a great idea, just poorly implemented on my part. I'll certainly continue to use the plane as you're correct, it is a very convenient and handy way of rolling those little pellets around. It's actually a personality flaw on my part that I've struggled with for many years -- if a little pressure (or anything else) is good, a lot of pressure must be better and "quicker". My trusty wood plane and I will be back in action later today, "gently" humming along.

Dan

·
Banned
2,429 Posts
Splended Indeed, Dan! It is rare and refreshing to see someone else makes a goof at time. I was told many years ago that progress was like the monkey that climbed three feet during the day and slepped two feet at night, overall he was getting ahead! In a tecko forum world where everyone shoots 2" groups at 50 yards with iron sighted pistols and the likes (I do well to keep them on a 10" gong at 75 yards) It does my heart good to see something that is " a little less than perfect"! I admire anyone that post a "How To" even when it went backwards. We learn more from "not the way to do something" than the reverse.
Best Regards, James  

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
DOK
You made my day! I've had so many similar ideas that would fall under the heading of cranial vapor lock, on my part.

I used a couple of pieces of 1/4 inch plate glass. The bottom one was 4 inches wide by 6 or so long. The top piece was 2 by 4. I polished the edges down so as to not make hamburger out of my fingers using emory cloth. Worked pretty good. I found that by increasing the size of the rolling plates made the job easier.
My business has this sort of scrap glass, from time to time, so I saved it for some future use, like this.
Jim

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All of you folks are far too kind, my wife's reaction was, "Dummy, what don't you understand about the term 'soft lead'?"  I suspect you wouldn't be surprised to know she's the one in the family without the college degree?

Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
OUCH!!!

Dan,

You have a way of making my day!  Sorry to get levity from your misfortune and frustration... I just find comfort in knowing that my house isn't the only one that the Murphys' have decided to take up residence!

Sounds like you're on the right track now.  It surely is amazing how little effort it takes to squeeze those bullets undersize!  Keep us posted!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dan:

I'll keep your situation in mind when I get ready to do my lap job!  Marshall, I swear I'm going to order those supplies from you!

Mr. Murphy has visited us all.  My last altercation with him was installing a front sight from Ashley on my Marlin 45-70.  As you know, that front sight base is screwed on.  I had used a brass punch to install a front sight on my 10/22, as well as to adjust front sights for windage on other guns.  I figured I could file the new sight down a little and tap it on into the dovetail, instead of buying that front sight pusher from Brownell's.  Dumb idea.  I ended up buying the right tool for the job, and having to get new screws for the front sight base after stripping the old ones out from my "judicious tapping."  

Oh, well, I chalked it up to a hard lesson learned.  By the way, it really is not fun not being able to shoot your rifle while you sit and wait for stuff to come in the mail!

Regards,
Ray Floyd

·
Registered
51 Posts
"cranial vapor lock"

I get that every day. I warn people not to expect much from me before 11 am and after 3:30. I figure a condensed period of brilliance during the day is good enough.

Of course I take a lunch break right in the middle of that shining moment of lucidity so it is short indeed. I was rumaging through my car the other day looking for the sunglasses that were already on my face....

DOH!

·
Registered
298 Posts
"condensed period of brilliance "

Leadslinger - I'm going to use this strategy during my next salary increase negotiation!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Shameless plug to the most comprehensive instruction manual concerning firelapping and over all cast bullet shooting performance.

<a href="http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/?main=book.htm" target='_blank'>http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/?main=book.htm</a>

Best Regards, and God Bless,

Alex Stanton

1 - 19 of 19 Posts