Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just so we don't get way out in left field, in a newbie's thread. I played with Anhydrous lanoline a few years back, posted a thread about it as a case lube alternative. I don't like having to live with the anhydro derivation, to "Fiddle-y". So I've moved on to a more convenient form, known ubiquitously as "Fluid Film". Been using it as a case lube, general 'round the house' lube, and using it alone as an oil/hydration source for a pair of my Firefighting boots. I started my use of it as the sole source of lubrication in a pistol and rifle last fall. I'm almost to some breathing room work-wise, where I can get back into some heavy monthly shooting; and will wrap-up my test of it. When I get there in a month or so, I'll post about it here.

As far as the ATF for a protectant in the original ER formula. ATF will generally prevent any sudden massive oxidation and flaking, from occurring. But as RJ can attest, it's rust "protection" attributes aren't what most gun owners mean when they say protect.
I suspect that for those of us who live where it's not humid, and the great many folks who don't actually do much shooting/carrying of firearms with them on a daily basis. That the level of protection they need while the firearm is sitting in their safe, in the climate controlled house; is rather minimal. Clean and dry is going to be as effective as not.

Cheers

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,814 Posts
I should have taken pictures of the 4R100 out of my '01 F250 (that has been driven daily for 226,000 miles) when I had it apart. It's was as bad or worse than the C6. As an aside I've switched to Valvoline full synthetic ATF in the rebuilt transmission. Less heat generated even when pulling the camper.

Anyways, lanolin has been used for eons as a high pressure lube. Sheep shears stay sharp forever because of it.

Allen

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Darkker, Like you, I'm a big fan of 'Fluid Film' (the brand name), always keep it on hand for multiple uses. I 'discovered it' (given a free sample) back when I was still employed (retired now 15+ years!!) in the material handling equipment industry, that stuff freed up corroded and frozen up ball bearings like nothing else. If I remember, I posted about it somewhere here a while ago, mentioning that some also use it as a non-stick coating and rust preventer on lawn mower decks, keeps wet grass from sticking and rusting things up, great stuff....even if it does look like snot! Not sure I would use it on bullet jackets though, the butter like viscosity of pure Lanolin suited the 'smearing the Tupperware' technique better to ensure minimal thickness coating. I wouldn't hesitate to use 'Fluid Film' on bolt raceways, bolts, lugs and camming surfaces, meagerly applied.

Here's some pretty good user input: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/fluid-film-ya-or-ney.266327/

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes indeed, I had forgotten about that one. :)
Can't recall where I bought my current gallon pail from, but cost me something like $0.3/oz... So even if it isn't magic, one could afford to be a bit zealous in it's usage.;)
So far, I've been very judicious(scotch) in my applications on lugs and various bits. Just pulled the slide from one of my Glocks that has been lubed with it. I don't want to spoil the results, for those that are skeptical, but I'm not loosing sleep over using it rather than traditional grease/oil products.;)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Darkker, When I re-read that 2020 post, what comes to mind is the old saying; "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".
I copied my P.S. ending statement from that post #14, and I'll quote it again here:
"P.S. No, I don't, and never have worked for them! But, not trying it is your loss."
If you and had not been willing to try it as something 'new to us', we would not have been benefitting from it's use all this time.:):D

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Curious as to your process in using it (Fluid Film) for case lube. Do you use a pad? Spray it on, etc? I love the Lee lube, but it is tedious to apply for large batches.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darkker, When I re-read that 2020 post, what comes to mind is the old saying; "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".
Ain't that the truth..... Try getting someone to read the bloody stickies.😆😆

Curious as to your process in using it (Fluid Film) for case lube. Do you use a pad? Spray it on, etc? I love the Lee lube, but it is tedious to apply for large batches.
Like I said in the 700 thread, don't over think it.😉
I have done all the above and then some:
Wiped with fingers, used a lube pad, telekinesis, towel, etc.
Generally I just stick a couple finger tips in my gallon can, and use them. The pad applies WAY too much. Honestly, less is more.

I FL sized 100 cases for an AR a couple days ago, never had to dip my fingers in more than twice. A quick and thin amount around the neck/shoulder, and done.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts