Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that the new 7mm PRC fired cases have to go back to Hornady for recycling their brass?? This firm wouldn’t sell a handful to me for case forming. This is an evil twist for hand loaders and wildcatters. It means I must buy 50 to get five! Can anyone tell me what has changed in the marketing???

· The Shadow (Administrator)
11,183 Posts
A modicum more articulation would help.

Are you claiming that:
Hornady directly told you that they won't sell anyone brass, unless you sign a contract to return all brass back to them for free; when finished using it?
And also, that you are upset to learn Hornady doesn't sell onesie-twosie's?

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A modicum more articulation would help.

Are you claiming that:
Hornady directly told you that they won't sell anyone brass, unless you sign a contract to return all brass back to them for free; when finished using it?
And also, that you are upset to learn Hornady doesn't sell onesie-twosie's?
No! A local builder chambers his rifles i 7mm PRC, using development cartridges from Hornady with the proviso that ALL the fired cases are returned to Hornady. The shrinkage of four or five empties are a no no? In the river breaks near here, the bunch grass, and snow, swallows one or two empties out of a box of fifty rounds.

11,183 Posts
1) A local builder chambers his rifles i 7mm PRC, using development cartridges from Hornady with the proviso that ALL the fired cases are returned to Hornady.
So now the story is:

A local smithy re-barrels rifles, to a standard SAAMI chambering; the 7 PRC. That smithy supposedly struck a deal with Hornady at some point in the past, to test some of their development cartridges.

So now you believe that because of his alleged agreement, any ammo you ever purchase would somehow obligate you to send all empty cases to Hornady? 🤷. No.

As an aside, your country doesn't swallow brass any quicker than anywhere else. If you follow along when others share their experiences, you'll remember there is very little of that region I don't know. 😉

Cheers

· Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
12,511 Posts
BLM

BRASS LIVES MATTER!!

Hornady or whoever is spreading that "stuff" can take a short leap off a tall pier at low tide. If the smithy did his job it'll shoot factory rounds like a factory rifle and new empties should be reloadable at Sammy specifications no matter the headstamp.

RJ

Reactions: tdoyka

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BLM

BRASS LIVES MATTER!!

Hornady or whoever is spreading that "stuff" can take a short leap off a tall pier at low tide. If the smithy did his job it'll shoot factory rounds like a factory rifle and new empties should be reloadable at Sammy specifications no matter the headstamp.

RJ
Beggars can’t be choosy! This local firm is much more than a simple G S. So I won’t name them. I was trying to see what is going on?? Hornady will be doing this to many more firms, developing this newbe version of the old 284 Win. I can only guess at this point.

11,183 Posts
Beggars can’t be choosy!
I was trying to see what is going on?? I can only guess at this point.
You don't have to beg, you have to reload. PRC brass is available in-stock currently, and 7 PRC ammo is expected in-stock within a week-ish; from the usual online places.

If you want to know what's going on, you don't guess; you ask questions of those supposedly involved. If that seems intimidating to you, Occam's razor is really simple.

Which is more reasonable:

A) Hornady sits at the head of the Kabal, and is pretending an imaginary contract with some guy named not you, somehow binds you to it's terms.

B) Your gunsmith has a contract with Hornady for testing products(early releases, etc). Rather than doing so, he chose to make a buck selling it to random people. But in an attempt to shift his obligations on to you, is blaming them for "making him" hold you liable for his dealings.

They may want him to send early prototypes back to them. Prototypes aren't supposed to be out in the general public's hands. He is attempting to shift his responsibility on to you, plain and simple.

Cheers

· Super Moderator
14,549 Posts
It sounds like the local firm has an "in" with Hornady R&D techs. They sent him some ammo to try that is new loads they are developing. Because these are experimental loads, Hornady wants the brass back to inspect how it held up. That is not really unreasonable, as the brass design could be part of what is under development. Winchester did that with the 1992 Palms Match brass when they incorporated their semi-balloon head design into it and thinned it for maximum powder capacity. If a case design change is part of the development, they may be concerned that letting anyone reload it could be a liability for them.

Whichever reason they want it back, you don't want to rely on an experimental piece of brass to be good to reform anyway.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like the local firm has an "in" with Hornady R&D techs. They sent him some ammo to try that is new loads they are developing. Because these are experimental loads, Hornady wants the brass back to inspect how it held up. That is not really unreasonable, as the brass design could be part of what is under development. Winchester did that with the 1992 Palms Match brass when they incorporated their semi-balloon head design into it and thinned it for maximum powder capacity. If a case design change is part of the development, they may be concerned that letting anyone reload it could be a liability for them.

Whichever reason they want it back, you don't want to rely on an experimental piece of brass to be good to reform anyway.
These suckers might use nitro phenyl primers with a larger flash hole to be sold as lead free, or maybe they come with non canister magic powders?? But if they form them, I can reform them🤓

11,183 Posts
But if they form them, I can reform them🤓
I'll bet you can. 😉

Most of my Creedmoor brass' first life, was spend wearing a 308 dress. 😆

· Super Moderator
14,549 Posts
But if they form them, I can reform them🤓
You probably can, but that won't stop Hornady's lawyers from saying not to let you try.

Incidentally, the large flash holes are not really a problem. There's a paper you can find online by a grad student who got Fiocchi USA to supply him with blank brass without flash holes and who proceeded to try out drilling them intentionally on and off center and different diameters to see the effects. Where a standard large primer flash hole is 2 mm ( 0.079"), he found he actually got slightly better velocity consistency with 3 mm (0.118“) flash holes, which is very close to the 0.125" flash holes drilled for the DDNT lead-free primers in domestic large primer diameter. This finding is contrary to the trend with some match brass to use small primers with small 1.5 mm (0.059") flash holes in 308 Win or other brass that traditionally uses large primers. But it certainly agrees with reports by folks who reloaded the original Winchester NT 45 Auto brass with large pistol primer pockets with the eighth inch flash holes by using standard LP primers and finding no measurable performance difference resulted.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s my understanding that Hornady also stiffened this brass up by adding more zinc. We might not get to examine these pull back cases, and will wait and see the market run, coming out. The 45 G A P factory cartridge gr used a non retail CCI 325 small pistol primer.
This 7mm PRC case should save me mucho work in making my 6mm x 300 RCM wildcat, if they reform back to 55-56mm long. My G S will neck Throat for a longer neck, at a modest cost. Right now, on paper, I see a 58mm+ length when I squeeze my tapers in.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You don't have to beg, you have to reload. PRC brass is available in-stock currently, and 7 PRC ammo is expected in-stock within a week-ish; from the usual online places.

If you want to know what's going on, you don't guess; you ask questions of those supposedly involved. If that seems intimidating to you, Occam's razor is really simple.

Which is more reasonable:

A) Hornady sits at the head of the Kabal, and is pretending an imaginary contract with some guy named not you, somehow binds you to it's terms.

B) Your gunsmith has a contract with Hornady for testing products(early releases, etc). Rather than doing so, he chose to make a buck selling it to random people. But in an attempt to shift his obligations on to you, is blaming them for "making him" hold you liable for his dealings.

They may want him to send early prototypes back to them. Prototypes aren't supposed to be out in the general public's hands. He is attempting to shift his responsibility on to you, plain and simple.

Cheers
I got a Hornady tech on the phone today and he told me there’s nothing spooky going on. This local rifle manufacturer simply doesn’t c want to part with any of his fired brass, period. So I C received the old brush off. I have other requests out, locally, to G A Precision, and to the Hornady c custom die c desk. Now I wait with my fingers crossed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts