Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have proven load data they have used to firelap barrels in these calibers? I have the BTB firelapping supplies and Tech Guide but I didn't see any recommended loads in the BTB Technical Guide. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,:)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
Dutch, I did some .35 Rem firelapping loads a short time back. It was 3 grains of Bullseye and the lapping bullet was a 148gr. wadcutter. They were pretty zippy for lapping loads, it might be possible to reduce the load a bit without sticking a bullet in the barrel. However I did not get any leading so probably the velocity was not excessive. This was in a 20" Microgroove barrel.

Given the similar case capacity of the .375 I think that would be a good starting point also. If you don't have Bullseye, then the same charge of Red Dot would probably work also.

·
Registered
238 Posts
MikeG - Did you notice any improvement after you firelapped the barrel? I've heard so many pro's and con's about the procedure that I'd just like to find out from someone who's actually done it what the results were. Thanks... CEJ

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
Not yet, I'm trying to sort out the bedding. Right now it will group 3 shots touching then 2 shots touching somewhere else. Driving me nuts. But it appears to have potential.

I did it more in preparation for working up some cast bullet loads. Also I find that it reduces fouling quite a bit and makes cleaning the barrel less of a chore. Right now it copper-fouls more than I would like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts