Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone firelapped one of these rifles? If so, how do you load the round so as not to get the compound on the chamber walls? Getting a new mini 30 tactical tomorrow and am just looking ahead.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,568 Posts
No disrespect, but given the history of both of those rifles, I don't think fire lapping is going to help accuracy all that much.

RJ

Reactions: Okie Hog

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Seems the new minis are better rifles than their predecessors. Hope yours is a shooter. Think I'd try it out before firelapping. If it cant group then nothing is lost by running grit down the bore.

To answer your question, single load by dropping the cartridge into the chamber..

·
Registered
853 Posts
I''d be hesitant to fire lap a rifle with a gas port in the barrel - that abrasive is likely to migrate into operating system, probably not doing it any favors.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
A tactical decision to fire lap a tactical rifle that has not as of yet been fired. Do I have the question correct?

I spose I will vote NO. How did you like the rifle before you liked it? Me too!

Cheezywan

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Firelapping a new barrel is akin to taking a right angle grinder to a new paint job. WHY??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the responses. I would have gotten back sooner but the roof going on my house has taken quite a bit of my time.

I agree, I will be shooting the rifle before making any alterations. It is a mini-30 and I will not be shooting the Russian stuff in it. It is the so called "tactical" model with the 16" straight barrel. This should help with accuracy. I was simply reading where Marshall Stanton tweaked the engagement of the gas block and properly torqued it. He said he also fire lapped it and can shoot MOA when he allows the barrel to cool 2 minutes between shots.

I have fire lapped a few revolvers which did in fact improve accuracy and eliminated leading. It is a good procedure in my book. If I decide to go that route I just do not want booger up the chamber in the process.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I've seen a couple of mini's that would group under 1.5" at 100 yards but most won't, the action is weaker than a AR-15 so be careful loading for it.
As said before I too would not try fire lapping a gas operated gun.
Mini's are blasters, enjoy it for what it is, they are very good at turning loaded ammunition into brass!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts