Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a BR 22lr rifle. I know I could always go the used Anschutz 54 route. But, a couple thoughts occurred to me. I understand the CZ 452 & 455 are excellent rifles. The problem is that sometimes they come with a loose bore closest to the muzzle. Would firelapping fix this issue should it arise?

I could save several hundred dollars if I go the CZ route. But, I don't know if I am trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
NO-- You can't make a hole smaller with abrasives. Besides that, the original supposition is not necessarily correct. CZs can have a bad crown but bore diameter consistency is outstanding.
To study .22 RF accuracy study the build of the receiver. All match rifles have a commonality that MAKES them accurate far beyond the quality of the barrel. A sporter rifle that has all the attributes but has never been made as a target rifle is the Browning T-Bolt.

Reactions: MusgraveMan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
Firelapping will typically leave the bore either straight, or tapered and smaller toward the muzzle. It somewhat depends on the hardness of the lapping rounds. On a .22 rimfire, you are pretty well stuck with what you can get off the shelf in terms of low-velocity factory loads (CB longs work pretty well by the way but make sure you don't stick one in the bore).

So you can help the situation if the muzzle is larger than the bore, but some folks grimace at opening up the rest of the bore. Slug it and see. If it just had a loose spot for an inch or two at the muzzle, I'd be tempted to shorten the barrel to get rid of it.

Shoot it and see, my CZ is the most accurate .22 LR I own. Never have bothered slugging the bore or working on the trigger or anything else. I just shoot it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like MikeG suggest the CZ. I use mine all the time, I breed stud sheep and there are always sparrows and starlings about crapping over everything ,I use the CZ to try and control them. We also have a good rabbit population which has got out of control this spring so I'll be giving them a touch up real soon. there are any amount of guns in the safe but the CZ with sub sonic ammo works fine for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
bruno-22

MIKE44: 40 Years ago I bought a regular BRUNO. No shooting in etc. This rifle has started 3 generations. Latest granddaughter with this rifle can put 50 rounds into a 2" at 50 metres.

I have a Marlin 39A I use for competition, the only thing I did was to fit aperture sights for competition
and like wise is super accurate, just regular cleaning and maintenance.

Shipwright:)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Two posts confirmed what is experienced in the home country:

1. The older BRNO .22 LR must rate as one of the best overall sporters, and particularly due to the integrity of the action (they also happen to have barrels of excellent quality). In fact these are most commonly seen at the silhouette competitions. I have not closely checked out the modern CZ but any rifle from that part of Europe has always impressed me.

2. JBelk mentions the Browning T-Bolt. The South African equivalent, the Musgrave Ambidex of which only a very small batch was manufactured is another example of perfect dimensions and conformity. By the way, that little Musgrave is a true controlled feed action. It picks up the case from the magazine, holds it perfectly in line with the bore away from the feed ramp and concentrically feeds it into the chamber with absolutely no touching by the bullet. I believe that THIS is the reason for its excellent accuracy. Of course the barrel is of impeccable steel and manufacturing quality but it seems the perfect feeding is its lovable feature regarding consistent groups.

For some reason this rifle is sensitive for ammunition brands. When the Swartklip Projects shotgun and .22 Rimfire ammunition factory was gutted by a fire some years ago the ammunition that it liked disappeared. Now the CCI mini-mag is the one it likes.

The OP should have no regrets re the CZ. The BRNO ancestry is there to see.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Firelapping will typically leave the bore either straight, or tapered and smaller toward the muzzle. It somewhat depends on the hardness of the lapping rounds. On a .22 rimfire, you are pretty well stuck with what you can get off the shelf in terms of low-velocity factory loads (CB longs work pretty well by the way but make sure you don't stick one in the bore).
Mike;
CB Longs have been UNOBTANIUM around here for years...How would something like CCI Quiet, iirc, ~750 fps, or CCI Standard Velocity ~1050 fps work for lapping, do you think?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,137 Posts
I'd try the lower velocity rounds first, personally.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I don't think the CZs have a problem as stated. And as Belk said, firelapping is clearly NOT a fix for that problem.

IF you want a true bench rest rifle, a CZ isn't it. An Annie is the way to go.

If you want an accurate sporter rifle, the CZ is a great 22 rifle. CZs use to be inexpensive, but have climbed up higher.

I have 4 CZs right now all are subMOA. My 452 FS shoots .5" at 100 yards outdoor from sandbags. The barrel is the best part of a CZ 22; the trigger is the worse part! I've had 3 CZ that were terible, beyond fixing, even when sent to CZ's custom shop.

thoughts from aa CZ fan

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
CZ 452 don't need no fixing!

This thread started in 2015. CZ 452 don't need no fixing: My main 22 is a CZ 452 "Trainer." The suggestion of not fooling with the barrel is a good one. Also, my rifle does wonderfully with CCI SV rounds. Shoot yours some before tinkering. My bet is that you will be astounded at the results. Other than trigger adjustment, tinkering will come off the agenda. Wonder where the OP is?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
My CZ shoots nearly as well as my Anschutz with nothing done to either gun. The CZ's trigger is "factory decent", but Timkey and others make replacement triggers for them if desired. I just put a Timkey in my CZ and the result is that I shoot very tight groups more consistently. The groups didn't really get any tighter, they just became more predictable. Here's a pic of one group I fired just before putting the Timkey into the CZ. Shot at 50 measured yards, five shots, Norma-Tac 22 ammo. This group isn't a rare exception for this gun. Out of the box it fires sub .4" at fifty yards with several brands of quality ammo. The Anschutz is only very marginally better, and its trigger out of the box is under six ounces.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts