Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I don't like to admit it in public but my color vision isn't exactly perfect. And it just so happens that red is one of those colors that can be hard to see. I've been planning on putting a Williams Firesight on my Marlin for a while now, and even have had the guide receiver sight installed for a few months now. So I called Williams to order a front rifle bead with a "green" light rod. "Sorry, they only come in red", was the response. After I got off the phone I was thinking that somewhere I'd seen reference to a green light rod in a Williams sight. Off to www.wildwestguns.com and sure enough they have them..."exclusive" to WWG. They want an arm and leg (and possibly some other left appendage) so I'll pass on that.

Anyone know of an alternate manuf of a similar sight, or maybe one that you'd recommend of another type? The factory sight is too large for my liking.

...and I can't be alone on this since the majority of "color challenged" people in this world are men... Hmmm...if'n I was a liberal I might be looking for a lawyer... It's just a matter of time before someone tries this one, assuming they haven't already.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Marbles makes what you are looking for!

Bart-

They call it a "Contour Front Sight." The colors available are green, orange, and white (imitation ivory bead) as well as the standard brass.

The website is at: www.marblearms.com

This is the same outfit that supplies some of the buckhorn rear sights and I think also some of the Tang sights that the Cowboy Action shooters favor. They are based in Michigan's U.P.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dutch...I looked and like them. Midway is one of their retailers but I couldn't find the Contour Sight listed in their online catalog. However...

I sent Williams email last night after posting here and asked why I can't get the same "exclusive to WWG" sight direct from them. Much to my surprise this morning just as I got to work they called and asked me what size I wanted. The guy said they were making these on request with green light rods and that the person I talked with before should have known that. It'll take a few extra days to arrive he says...that's ok I says.

This is the third time I've dealt with Williams' customer service and once again I'm duly impressed! Only one of those times did I have an actual problem with one of their products that I had in hand. They sent replacement parts no questions asked, postage paid. I'll buy from them again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bart-

I'm glad to hear that Williams took care of you. I didn't know that they were making the sight in green on request. I guess next time I stop in there I'll have to order one (I live 10 miles away from their facility) for one of my Leverguns.

Also, I have found a distributor of the Marbles Contour sights. If you want their web address just let me know and I will post it in case your interested in anything else from Marbles.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt,

Please do post that distributor's address. This certainly (hopefully) won't be the last rifle needing a sight upgrade in my stable. I didn't think to ask Williams if they could provide other colors.

Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bart-

The one mail order distributor I have found so far for the Marble's sights and knives is Chagnon's Outdoor World in Manistique, MI. Their website is: www.chagnonoutdoors.com

I think that Marble's has a list of distributors on their site so you might double check there for a distributor in your area.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The green fire sight arrived this past weekend. Decided to wait until after Christmas to try installing it since if I run into problems that would put the kabosh on my shooting plans with the family. The claim from Williams is that they usually require fitting. I assume a small flat file would do the job. There are probably various ways to press the sight into the dovetail. If someone around here has done this before how about telling me how you did it?

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts