Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three things, amazing that people are still killed by grizzlies with it being common knowledge....they can kill you and will without hesitation in some instances.
Sad this yahoo leaves four children and a wife on their own.
I took the family to Montana grizzly country camping when the kids were teenagers, I carried a Glock 23 with three magazines and had two rat terriers running perimeter defense/early warning system, that's how I roll.
I've never read a single story in 30+ years where a person was killed or even mauled by a bear when they had a dog and a gun, doesn't happen.
Montana Hiker Killed in Suspected Grizzly Bear Attack (msn.com)

Registered
Gotta respect the wildlife out there. My Sister and her husband own about 90 acres outside Canon City in Colorado. They check in with a neighbor whenever they visit and he had picked up four different cougars on game cameras. They unfortunately had left their 9mm at home in Texas and since had Grandkids with, they didn't hike down their canyon and do much exploring.

I've offered to go up and take care of the Cougar problem, but still haven't gotten a response. We have a Family zoom meeting this afternoon, so maybe get a more positive response after discussing.

Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)

Registered
In 1980 or 81 (I think) went to visit my folks who were "summering" south of Glacier Park instead of simmering in Kansas. While there we ran up to the Park where they were selling t-shirts at the souvenier stands with grizzly tracks diagonally across countering waffle tread boot tracks which stopped at the grizzly crossing which continued on. Below was printed "Grizzlies - 6, Tourists - 0". Asking the cashier about them I was told that they got the extra point after the shirts were silk screened!

Registered
Someplace on one of the flash drives from the old office computer I have a Game Cam pic of a Grizzly on our property let me see if I can't find it

We get quite a few Black Bears every year in our area, to many of the closest neighbors don't protect their trash so they come in

Between the trash and the apple trees that are left each year without picking, the Bears have a huge food source

We can usually tell when we have a Grizzly in the area however, we see the old tree stumps ripped clean out of the ground rather than just tore up hehehe

ps: I love having the "What do you keep for "Home Defense" conversation online" I always say the same thing "Depends on where you live"
No neighbors and the most likely target being either a Bear, Cougar, or pissed off Moose I carry a bit heavier then when I lived in the Suburbs on a Cul-d-Sac :p

Which this thread need not turn into, a contest on who's Johnson is bigger because they live in bear country and carry a Bug-a-salt for protection.

RJ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A retailer/commercial customer who sells those Big a salt guns gave me one last year,love those! To me if you have people who are dependent on you it's your basic responsibility to not do stupid stuff,stay employed,out of jail and alive. That takes some activities off the table, don't do drugs, skydiving, diving in shark infested waters,rock climbing and hiking in grizzly country alone without a gun and a dog. I feel sorry for his wife and kids, they're the real victims.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My parents built a log home up in the mountains SW of Denver in the 80's, unfortunately they didn't live long enough to really enjoy it. They left it to my sister and her husband who worked from home so it was a good fit. My parents were always concerned about the significant mountain lion population and to a lesser extent the black bears, they liked travelling so they didn't want dogs.
My sister and her husband however had a pack of Jack Russell terriers, they drove me crazy at first but I learned to love them when taking walks on their 35 acres with them in tow. FYI, five is too many even for me! Those little monsters are absolutely fearless and their insane barking unnerves even the largest predators. If I lived in bear country I'd have a couple of Decker giant rat terriers, the not quite as crazy slightly larger relative of the Jack Russell.
Protective Jack Russell Sends Bear Stumbling Back Into British Columbia Woods - YouTube

Jacks are like Corgis in that they don't listen well, especially in groups of one or more 馃槉 Very devoted dogs though.

I've heard it said that when travelling in bear country if one has two dogs it's better than one because one dog is more likely to run back between your legs followed by the bear, whereas two dogs are much more "brave".

RJ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No doubt, my Chihuahua/miniature pincher mixes are fearless together, then can run the biggest hormone charged buck out of the yard in seconds, the deer doesn't know how to deal with two of them.

Registered
Bears aren't anything to toy with and some people seem to have a penchant for taking stupid risks. Just like the people that get beat to crap by bison because they get out of their car and approach the animal for a picture or something stupid like that. This may seem silly, but in this modern era where more and more people are "animal lovers" and against hunting and whatnot, seeing all the commercials of the cutely portrayed polar bears on TV because we are supposedly responsible for their habitat changing..it makes me wonder if some people are lulled into a false sense of safety when it comes to how they interact with dangerous wildlife. Everything from the foolish practice of hiking alone in known bear country with no means of protection to getting way too close to these animals intentionally. I don't live in big bear country, just a few sparsely scattered blackies around here, but I've come across sign in the woods deer hunting and I take it pretty seriously. I make sure and not hang out near food sources like berry bushes and whatnot, try to be in a place where I have a pretty good handle on what's around me. Always have a magnum revolver on my hip that lays on my lap when sitting in my spot, not only for the possibility of weak side opportunity on a deer, but to have it easy to access and put into action for any type of emergency. I don't fancy being mauled to death at all

Registered
Bears are a bit like cows during calving season.
DON鈥橳 EVER get between a momma and her baby. But, trampled is better than eaten I guess.

Unfortunately most of the time when people are maimed or killed by bears it鈥檚 because they weren鈥檛 educated enough in their behavior and put themselves at risk.

It鈥檚 very sad, but very rarely are those who are familiar with the bear and its environment and behavior are the ones who suffer that fate.

Never go salmon fishing in the river in bear country unarmed 2x over.

Registered
I call it the Disney land problem everybody thinks those wild animals are some show same thing with the gators down here in Florida. We get black bears walking through our neighborhood all the time and it is amazing how people think they鈥檙e just big black dog. I find The people who are not out in the woods or the swamp seeing what these animals are capable of just believe that there safe around them. You see people laying down beside alligators taking pictures of them I just don鈥檛 understand it hard to say what happened here

Registered
Just had a verified Grizzly attack a few miles north of us
Took down a Sheep and a Llama in somebody's Pen...
It was interesting to get a Nixle alert as I was reading the story on Facebook

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Always wondered how effective a mp5 would be in repelling a grizzly,once seen a tv documentary on culling elephants where a warden was using a FN fal,it was impressive.

Premium Member
I don't believe watching that grizzly bleed out for an hour, considering, hopefully, you have the stamina to run that long, would be a fun thing to learn? Big guns are for big problems. Just my thoughts.

Registered
I don't believe watching that grizzly bleed out for an hour, considering, hopefully, you have the stamina to run that long, would be a fun thing to learn? Big guns are for big problems. Just my thoughts.
Yep, the old saying "just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should" kind of applies here. Why roll the dice when there are better and more capable tools for the job.

I don't even know exactly what an MP5 is..but it doesn't sound like DG hardware to me

1 - 20 of 28 Posts