Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking for my very first gun and im pretty excited! I want some kind of handgun, possibly some kind of magnum? Ive heard and even seen horror stories of girls smoking their faces with the recoil and i deff dont want to be one of those girls!

Does anybody have any suggestions?

[yes, im old enough, yes im licensed, and yes i know for the most part what im doing, positive information only please!!]

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I would recommend a Smith and Wesson J frame in .38 special or .357 mag and shoot .38 special. They are light, well made and a good place to start. If you have the $$$ get an M&P 360 or Night Guard. Go to a range and get some instruction if you are not familliar with gun safety. I don't care who you are or how big you are, starting out shooting "magnums" is a mistake. A .22 rimfire revolver would also be a good place to start but won't do much in the self-defense area. Missed that you were in Canada- don't know what is available up there.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Not sure about Canadian law but if you can, go to shops with a good selection and try some on. If you can operate, and like, the semi-auto type then try several for grip fit, weight, etc. There are quite a few Glocks available and they are fine pistols.

Down here many ranges rent weapons and thats a great way to try a wide variety, to actually shoot them.

Revolvers are a bit simpler I think and some ladies like them over the pistols but some like the semi-auto (pistols) too so you'll just have to decide for yourself. Buy quality though. I'm of the opinion that 9mm should be the minimum caliber for personal defense. (That'll be debated.)

Happy shopping!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I'd start with a medium framed .357 Mag, like a Ruger GP100, S&W 586/686/19/66, or start with a nice .22LR revolver like a Single Six.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, glad to see a few females on here. i agree with the glock suggestion. start out with something small and work up. starting with a magnum caliber would be detrimental to your basic shooting skills. you will most certainly develop a recoil anticipation, most commonly refered to as a flinch. once you develop this accuracy robbing habit it is extremely hard to break. do yourself a favor and buy two guns if you can. get a 22 like a ruger mark 3 (bull barrel is my preference) with at least a 4" barrel and shoot the rifling out of it. second gun could be whatever you choose, but making small steps would make you a better shooter. step up to a 9mm or 40s&w at the most. get used to the recoil and muzzel blast from something that size then go for the big boys. whatever you choose to do make sure you enjoy it and pass along the shooting enjoyment to a kid!! happy shooting!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Jmortimer is right. You probably don't want to learn to shoot with a magnum powered handgun regardless of gender, size, or anything else for that matter. Most of us learned to shoot our dad's or granddad's 22s first and the stepped up to bigger guns. If you are dead set on buying a self-defense gun get a 22 revolver or semi-auto to go with it. Learn to shoot the 22 and put a bunch of rounds through it. It will be a lot cheaper to buy ammo for and your hands won't hurt at the end of the day. You will learn the same skills shooting the 22 that you will learn shooting a large caliber handgun without all the recoil and cost of ammo. Remember, sight alignment, sight picture, stance, breath control, grip, trigger squeeze, and follow-through. Once you master all that you will be able to shoot any gun you want with proficiency.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If this is your first gun, You'll want to get a revolver. Semi-autos are great but Revolvers are a lot easier to learn on for beginners despite what the advocates of semiautos say. When you get more experiance with handguns then you can go get a semi-suto if you really want one.

Get a good .22lr revolver to begin with. The ammo is cheap and 99.99% of people fired their first time with a .22lr. You can get a brick (500rds.) of .22lr for $25.00 or less and shoot all day long. I prefer the Ruger Single Six .22LR/.22WMR. There is the Ruger Bearcat also. S&W also has some good quality .22lr revolvers.

For a self defence gun get a Ruger or S&W .357 Mag. I say this because you can start out using the lightest .38 specials and then work up to the most powerful .357 mags with out having to get a new gun. I do know that S&W has some revolvers made for women. Those would be worth checking out.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Suggest you go to Tom Gresham's Guntalk TV website and check out some of the introductory material about getting started and chosing a firearm.

http://www.guntalktv.com/site.php

Before sinking major bucks into a handgun, you'll want to try a number out. Full size, semiauto pistols in 9mm are easy to shoot, with low recoil and adequate stopping power. Revolvers can be OK, but the smaller ones are expert guns, and not the best for beginners. Revolvers lack the capacity of semis and now that the quality of semis is so good, there's no real advantage in reliability with a revolver. Most of the national self defense instructors would echo this advice.

As others have suggested, rent some different guns and shoot them in addition to holding them to see what feels best.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from a fellow Canuck. All of the people here give really good advice, so really take to heart what they suggest. That said, find something you like that fits you, and get that. As long as it's something easy to learn on, that's the important part.

Not sure where in Canada you are, but I know there's a couple places in Edmonton that rent guns out. Wild West Shooting Range in the mall is one. There's another, but it's name escapes me right now.

Hope you find the right gun. See you around the forum.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
What's available and does it make a difference in how easy it is to get a permit?

I bought my wife a 50th anniversary Ruger .357, as it fits her hands well, and she can shoot it with .38 specials.

I'd try a shooting range that will rent a variety of guns, and see what you like. Good luck. Never the wrong thing to do to start with a .22 rimfire......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot guys :) All of that was REALLY helpfull!!
I noticed a lot of you mentioning "self defence" weapons, i wasnt really intending to shoot anybody, i dont think i have it in me! I just wanted something really fun to shoot :)

Anyways thanks again, and if anyone has anything to add that would be great!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I noticed a lot of you mentioning "self defence" weapons, i wasnt really intending to shoot anybody, i dont think i have it in me! I just wanted something really fun to shoot :)

If that's the case a Ruger Mark III or 22/45 would be a great choice (Same gun different grip/angle). Fun, reliable, and cheap to shoot. If you can get one of those in Canada it would be a great start.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah, if all you want to do is have fun then definitely go for a 22. The Ruger 22/45, Mark II, Mark III, Browing Buckmark, Ruger Bearcat, are all great guns and you can shoot a bunch for just a little money. My wife loves her 22/45. She will empty it faster than I can load her next magazine. You don't need big fire power to have fun shooting. Start off with a good 22 in either semi-auto or revolver, which ever you like better. Go out and shoot it and have fun. While your at the range if you see people with other guns your interested in ask them about them. Then offer to let them shoot yours and they will often do the same in return. This way you will get to shoot various guns and you can then figure out what you want in a larger caliber for a future purchase. Good luck on your choice and have fun. Let us know what you get.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just wanted something really fun to shoot :)
If that's the case and defense is not in the equation then I'd consider a .22 cal rimfire revolver or semiauto pistol to learn with. Low recoil and easy on the budget to shoot. Once you learn to shoot proficiently you will have no doubt acquired a yen for another (gun), then another, then anoth.....well, you'll see. They can, and do become an addiction.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I would also suggest that you consider a 9mm auto with a .22LR conversion. This would give you two options. Low cost and recoil/noise with the .22 and then you can shoot the 9mm for more noise/recoil and cost. Such good examples would be the Browning Hi Power (grips are easy for people with small hands), Beretta/Taruas 92, Glock 17/19 with conversion kits made by Ceiner/AA. There is also the CZ75 and the CZ 75 Kadet (either complete .22LR or conversion kit)

That said you can't go wrong with a good .22LR pistol or a medium frame .357 DA revolver. As mention you can shoot several different levels of ammunition in .38 Special from light wadcutter target ammo to full house .357 magnum.

CD

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had a lot of hand guns 22 to 44. 357 have a loud crack that can be hard on the ears. the gun I would recomend would be a 45 colt convertable. 45acp to 45 colt which can be loaded to 44 mag vel. My Daughter was just over and shot most everything I have and liked the 45 Bh the most. I don't think the semi autos are that safe for a beginer.......tray

·
Registered
83 Posts

My wife and Daughters love shooting the Ruger .22LR semi-auto pistol. Loof at a MkIII version with a target barrel. These come in a bunch of different flavors.

Very accurate, lightweight, no recoil, and won't break the bank on startup cost and ammo.

What ever you choose, Check the prices and availability of ammo for that gun before you make a deal.

At the going rates for large caliber ammo, the .22lr will let you do a lot more shooting for a lot less cost.

·
Banned
217 Posts
I don't know how much experience you have with firearms, so here are a few things to remember about having fun with firearms.
a) It's alot more fun if no one gets hurt.
b) it's alot more fun when you hit the target.
c) it's more fun if you don't have reliability issues
d) It's more fun if your with someone
e) it's more fun if you out shoot everyone on the range, especially if they are good shots. (Don't worry most good shots like to see some one do well and give them a challenge.)
The point of all this is whatever you get , make sure it's something you can handle safely, an action that you can understand, and load and unload easily and safely. The first few times out you should have someone along or at least around (like at a supervised range) who knows how to shoot and help you in a safe manner.
I'd also suggest buying the best quality you can afford, and adjustable sights.
Have fun and teach someone else to shoot safely in the future (very rewarding).

Regards
Gene

·
Registered
271 Posts
Rather than propose a particular gun and caliber, I would have you look at three factors: Does the gun fit your hand well? Can you see the sights comfortably? Is the recoil tolerable? Try renting or borrowing to see what you like. .22 rimfire has the obvious cost advantage. My feeling is that if the gun fits you and your needs you will shoot better and more often.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts