Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone
i started reloading last spring and was eager to try my reloads on big game
i waited for a bear that spring to no avail. so had to wait for fall seasons to begin
no moose in october either so finally november arrived and i was able to find something to shoot at.:D
the first was a yote that came cruising by. 1 shot from 306 y. put him down on the spot.
the second shot came at a w/t doe at 233 y. shot entered the left shoulder and exited
right behind the right front leg. she droped at the shot but came bak up ,ran 75 yard and went down for good. blood trail was impressive.
third occasion came on my biggest buck so far. at 150-200 yards. shot in the center of the chest, he ran about 50 yards with his head getting lower and lower the further he went, when sudenly his rack hit the ground making him flip in the air something spectacular.
he died there. blood trail was awesome too!

in both deers entrance and exit wound (as seen from inside the ribcage) were 1.5-2"

rifle is remington 700
load is 300 rem ultramag
168 gr. barnes ttsx. with rl 25
for 3150 fps.
http://img163.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=manitoba20092.png

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Congratulation on the nice buck. Extra good feeling when you kill it with a round that you loaded yourself. That 300 RUM did a number on the deer.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,516 Posts
Good on ya rum. Makes a feller feel, well, satisfied don't it. :D

RJ

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I took my first deer with a reload in 1968. I used a Mod 70 Win 243 with 100 gr Sierra and surplus H4831 powder. This load has been used since then for numerous deer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts