Shooters Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Hey.... so.... today I had a real Misfire! Was working with my 6.5-06 and thought I would try some H380 powder. I got the data off the Hodgons web site and it said 39.0 gr of H380 and it would be somewhere around 2650 fps. I was using CCI 200's. I shot one off worked great... no pressure signs. Then shot a second. Click! [email protected]#T! Waited about a minute, pulled the case out of the rifle..... Good contact on the primer...... Pulled the bullet, and I heard a PSSHHHTT, like when you open a pickle jar. OK.... dumped out the powder and it was "burnt" but it did not combust. The primer went off and did not ignite the powder. Powder was clumped up in it's burnt clumps.....

The primer seems to have functioned properly. I'm thinking that something happened with the powder for it not to ignite? The powder came straight out of the bottle and it was the first time I opened it.

First round worked, second round didn't. Should I try a few more and see if I got a bad batch of powder?????? Then again, maybe the .30-06 case I was using was allowing too much room to properly ignite this powder? I was also thinking that 39 grains seems a little on the light side considering on the H380 bottle it says that for the .30-06 it uses 56.5 gr H380 with a 165 gr bullet at about 2860 fps!

I don't know!

I switched over to H4831SC to finish out my testing which worked OK, so maybe I should just use it and not worry about the H380!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,397 Posts
Way too low of a load. Why are you starting at 39 grains?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,397 Posts
120gr. bullets I presume? That's what matches the data on their site.....

Anyway, first thought, if that's all the powder the starting load calls for, you have a situation with very poor loading density. I think I would try another powder. Ball / Spherical powders have a reputation for not working well at low loading densities. My rifle loading is done with stick powders so my diagnosis is more theoretical than practical, take it as an opinion.

That's what comes to mind. Slower powder so you can fill the case better, or use a stick powder that isn't as sensitive to load density / powder position (or both as you did). You didn't have any trouble with the 4831 so I think that's a clear indication of the way to go.... I probably wouldn't try to use anything faster than 4350 in the 6.5-06, myself.....

·
Banned
415 Posts
Sorry, spitfire, but I'm just curious...

Do you use the H4831 (as in, regular length) as well, or only the short cut stuff? Just wondering if there actually is any measurable difference between the two in any given scenario?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have used H-380 and CCI200 primers in my .270 with varmint bullets with great success. I'm not sure of any charge weight for the 6.5-06 but I use 56 grains with 90 grain Sierras and haven't had a failure yet. Sounds like too light of a charge as I know 39 grains would not fill the case much.

ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR MANUALS BEFORE LOADING. DO NOT RELY ON MY INFORMATION AS THIS IS GOOD IN MY WEAPON ONLY.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks guys.... Yes they are 120 gr Nosler BT's. I was thinking it wasn't very full when I filled them up. Their numbers must be off a little there. I bought the H380 for my .220 and my .22-250 so I'll just stick with those.

As for the H4831 and H4831SC, I have herd that there is no difference between the two. I have not stuck them on a chrony but they shoot basically the same. You would think that the Short Cut would burn a hair quicker, but it is the same just easier to meter through your powder measure due to the powder being about half the length of the original H4831.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts