Shooters Forum banner

First Post--Questions about Ruger #3

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  calaloo 
#1 ·
Greetings all. First let me state that I am not unfamiliar with single shot rifles as they are my passion. I am, however, a total noob when it comes to the Ruger single shot rifle. I just acquired a No. 3 that was dissembled. it was a project that was never completed. I am going to build a dedicated plain base lead bullet benchrest rifle using the action. I have a few questions and hope the brain trust here can supply me with some answers.

(1) The thing came with a Shilen barrel chambered in .45-70 and a .45-70 ejector. The case I will be using has a .357 magnum head. Is there an ejector for the No. 1 that will work in a No. 3? The part number for the No. 3 ejector and the ones for the No.1 are different. Brownells list four for the No. 1. Two are caliber specific and the other two simply list as fitting "all". Their tech service was no help.

(2) Refering to the small spring loaded plunger which fits into the outboard side of the ejector. There was no spring included in the parts. There is a very slight amount of wear to the rounded end of the plunger but absolutly no wear to the side of the block mortice where it would have rubbed. Is a spring for this needed for a rimmed case?

(3) Finally, as this came with no wood to use as a reference for inletting I am in need of some. I understand that many peopls remove thier No. 3 wood and replace it with No. 1 wood. Does anyone have some old No. 3 wood that they would be willing to part with for a resaonable price?

Thank you for indulging a complete "no-nothing".

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the fourm. Are seveal hard-core #1 fans here, and some very talented woodworkers as well, so i suspect your post witll get definative answers shortly.

Some one else is going to have to answer your question about extractors to be definitive, but believe they are identical between the #1 and #3. Other than the lever styles and some trigger changes I can't remember any differences in the action.

You night find a take-off set of #3 or #1 wood someplace, but it's not a real common gun for most to restock.Way back in time, wee stock makers that offered semi-finished stocks for #3 and #1 Rugers in various styles/grades, and suspect that at least some still do, but they've always been the higher priced stocks.

#3 ·
Hi calaloo,
I believe that you will find the extractors for the # 1 and # 3 are the same and with the four that Brownells list for the # 1 you can extract just about any of the common cartridges both rimmed and rimless.

As to the extractor spring being needed, yes it should be used with both rimmed and rimless cases. One of the best sites I've found for the # 1 and # 3 is the Ruger # 1 Group at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/RUGER-1

It's a group of over 1400 members that have an interest in the Ruger single shot action, the methods that are used to improve the # 1 can also be used on the # 3.
Good Luck on your build.
Ruger # 1 Guy

#4 ·
calaloo,
The Ruger #3 was built at one time in .357 magnum (a special run CHP commemorative if I remember correctly) so obtaining an extractor shouldnt be impossible. Id try Brownell's for the part.

For guys with take off parts Id look into www.rugerforum.com
Lot's of guys there who Ruger-smith and serious collectors. Lot's of Number 1 buffs as well. Check the classifieds and post a WTB maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.