Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished testing my first reloads for my 35rem in Marlin 336.  I had chosen the 180gr FN Speers, because at the time I bought them I wasn't aware that I could use cast bullets in the micro-groove.  Also, I used IMR 4320 because a buddy had some that he gave to me.  Anyway, under the supervision of an experienced reloader (same buddy) we loaded 4 ea. (I'm funny that way) at 41, 42, and 43gr.  (45gr listed as max.)  First shots where 41gr with no better performance than what I could do with the 200grRN factory Remingtons,  about 2.25" outside spread at 100yds. Next was 42gr. and they tightened up to 1.5" at 100yds.  That put a smile on my face.  Then I shot the 43gr loads.  WOW!! 1"group at 100yds.  3 shots touching and one just a little off.  All 12 shots were about 5 inches high (sighted in for 200gr factory loads) but I don't know what that means.  What I want to know is what to do now?  Keep going up?  smaller increments of powder? (by the way, I weighed every charge) different primers? My friend who has been reloading for 15 years has NO experience on the 35.  

Thanks in advance.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Mike:
  You must have an old Speer manual. #7 gives 45 grains as max, but #11 gives only 36 grains as max :eek: I think that a little low, since IMR's max with a 200 grain Core-Lokt is 38.5 grains. Personally, I think you've gone far enough. Is your action getting a bit hard to open?

Factory loads are pretty slow, about 1925 fps. It's possible to get another 150 fps out of the Core-Lokt with IMR's max of 37.5 grains of 3031. The 180 Speer is a good bullet, and it does shoot flatter than the Core-Lokt. However, my Marlin has an abrupt shift of the point of impact with an extra grain of powder. You may find that a faster load with the Core-Lokt will hit where the Speers are hitting at 100 yards. If that happens, the Speer will hit higher at 200 yards.

Take care
Jack

(Edited by Jack Monteith at 10:14 pm on Oct. 11, 2001)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
Not sure that I would tinker any more with 1" groups.... sounds like you're 'done' to me.  Perhaps you weren't expecting such good results after your first trip to the range, but sometimes it happens.  When it does.... be very happy!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Friends All....I suppose I am about to step into it again, but as far as the 180's in .35 Rem...They are a lousey game bullet, being neither fish or fowl! More corcern should be made toward which is the best game bullet than whether a bullet will group 1" or 3" @ 100 yards. The Remington 200 gr CL has been, and is, the best of the lot! Either IMR 3031 or Re7 will be an excellent balanced powder for the case capacity and bullet weight. In the normal game shooting ranges and conditions (offhand) no one can tell the difference in whether a rifle is grouping 1" or 3" @ 100 yards.....but you sure can tell if the bullet is not performing in game.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Remington 200gr corelokt soft point in my Marlin Chronographs right at the 2080 fps that the factory claims........My hand load of 38 gr of 3031 (above max in manual) and the 200gr Corelokt only does 2035fps.....Paco Kelly on Sixgunner.com has an article on theMarlin Remington and hse mentions using  H-335.....with the 180gr Speer........ I tried it but got a lot of muzzle flash , but it was accurate......... I would stay where I am like the other fellows said. By the way Paco likes the 180gr. Speer. I never got to use it on game......I really like the standard 200gr bullet as myshots are never over 75 yards.........Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just following up some more.  I finally did get to use my handload during deer season this year in Kentucky.  43gr of 4320 and the 180gr. Speer.  Frankly I was quite pleased.  I bagged two whitetails the same day, a small buck and a doe.  The first dropped in it's tracks, and the second ran about 30yds.  The wounds where very impressive.  I still haven't had a chance to chronograph this load but it appears to be powerful and accurate.  I will keep you posted as I learn more.

·
Registered
254 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with the 35Rem, the manuals keep the pressures low in deference to the old Rem auto and pump guns. With a proper action, the pressures can be run to the mid 40's as long as all else is favorable. Bolt guns, Marlin levers, Rem760 and 7600 for example. Just use common sense as it's not a 358Win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts