Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I've been browsing alot of forums lately trying to learn all I can about rifles, and this one seemed to have the most variety of posts so I joined.

I am looking to buy my first rifle (I have a handgun, now looking to expand into hunting after college). I don't like limits and I intend on shooting this gun a 2-3 times a month to master it. I had a good friend who's very knowledgeable recommend a Remington 700 in the .308.

Problem is I have no clue which model to go with. I plan on putting a Zeiss 4-12 scope on it because I want to eventually be able to hit from 750-1000 yards consistently with elements affecting it (hence the higher end scope) I'm looking to stay around $1200 for the rifle and scope, but am willing to go as high as 1400 if its the right set up.

I do plan on hunting with the rifle in the mountains so I dont want something terribly heavy. I am willing to consider other makes as well. I just want accuracy and ideally a detachable mag.

Thanks in advance and for having me on the forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best model you can afford with a heavy tactical/varmint barrel if you want to work up to those ranges.
How long of a barrel do you think is necessary? Im not a big guy, so something like 26 feels awkward to hold standing and shooting, and I dont want to HAVE to use a mount for it every time. Something in the 22" range work? Or would 24" be better?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Just the Ol'Coot's opinion here, but for a first rifle, I'd go with something like a RUGER American in 30/06.

The RUGER American because it is getting very good review, can be bought for about $350.00 and the "06" simply because it a very good cartridge in which you can load with a broad range of end results in mind and the components during normal times are easy to come by for reloading.

The current obamanation is not a "normal" time and it could be some months or even as during the first obamanation 2 - 3 years before things begin to even out.

Scope, A Leupold is really hard to wrong with, and a 3x9 Leupold would be a great match for the "06".

Is the Remington 700 a good rifle, yes, but your could buy nearly 2 Americans for one 700.

Starting in, give yourself time to start slow and low so you can make informed choices that don't break the bank. As well as the American shoots even at that low price, you just may never want or need anything more expensive.

You should also look at the RUGER Hawkeye if the American does not ring your bell.

However, a rifle like the American that is shooting as well as is reported, for that $350 price is a great place for you to get your feet wet with a good rifle and not sink all your bucks at one time.

I presently have a RUGER American that I bought for a "loaner" rifle for a young hunter I have been mentoring, but also have a hand full of other RUGER products on hand and have used and enjoyed them for many years.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've been slaying game with my older Remington .308 carbine for over 40 years. The 20 inch barrel is very accurate and handy, too.

Remington's Managed Recoil ammo is very helpful for beginning .308 shooters.

TR

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Hey everyone!

I've been browsing alot of forums lately trying to learn all I can about rifles, and this one seemed to have the most variety of posts so I joined.

I am looking to buy my first rifle (I have a handgun, now looking to expand into hunting after college). I don't like limits and I intend on shooting this gun a 2-3 times a month to master it. I had a good friend who's very knowledgeable recommend a Remington 700 in the .308.

Problem is I have no clue which model to go with. I plan on putting a Zeiss 4-12 scope on it because I want to eventually be able to hit from 750-1000 yards consistently with elements affecting it (hence the higher end scope) I'm looking to stay around $1200 for the rifle and scope, but am willing to go as high as 1400 if its the right set up.

I do plan on hunting with the rifle in the mountains so I dont want something terribly heavy. I am willing to consider other makes as well. I just want accuracy and ideally a detachable mag.
Wow, modest requirements there.

I've bumped off a couple hundred game animals with a rifle over the last 40+ years, and about half a dz over 300yds. I've also shot a few long range matches, out to 600M, many a varmint at 400M+, but at 350yds, even a large antelope is getting pretty small, and the rifles I can tolerate for recoil are running out of power for elk. My .35 Whelen slings a 250gr bullet as fast as the .308 can push a 180gr bullet.

A M700 in .308 is a very fine choice. It can punch paper and even bad guys out to 1000M, if the shooter can shoot, knows the range, and is holding the right rifle. A tricky mix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow, modest requirements there.

A M700 in .308 is a very fine choice. It can punch paper and even bad guys out to 1000M, if the shooter can shoot, knows the range, and is holding the right rifle. A tricky mix.
Haha I did say I intend to practice alot! Which M700 would you point to in particular? I've noticed the SPS, Tactical and Varmint, 5R and LTR keep popping up. Any preferences between those?

And the guy with the pic of the deer in snow, thats a sweet picture!

Would yall put Remington and Ruger at the top or where does Savage come in?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I love Rugers, and have a pile of them. I also have a pretty good collection of M700's, I really like them too. They are working class rifles for hunters. They will shoot as far as a .308 will push a bullet, even 1000M.

You can shoot at things at 1000yds/M with a hunting rifle, and you can hunt with a rifle that will shoot well at 1000M, but they are not the same rifle either way.

If I were buying a new .308 to hunt with, I'd look closely at the Savage line, put my hands on a M70 Winchester, a M700 that looked pretty, and a couple Rugers. Then lay down the cash for the one I liked the best. Then I'd put a quality 3X-9X Leupold on it, and head for the door.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
It is a to each his own and what floats your boat, but the RUGER Hawkeye is an equal to any Remington 700 for field work.

Not bad mouthing the Remington here, but the RUGER is a good rifle.

Then as to the RUGER American, what is to fault, not to like, with a very nicely priced rifle which is getting rave reviews.

RUGER is just one of the companies which have brought out rifles to fill the lower priced market. Marlin for example gets good reviews. Mossberg, sorry I don't go there. For me, that is a boat sinker.

Have heard little about the compeating rifle in the Remington line.

Your friend and the many who are declaring their like of the 700 happen to like them and rightfully so, not a problem there, but years back I bought into RUGER because they were the little guy that had a new idea, so my likes and enjoyment for this line would be equal to the posters who say go Remington.

So, while I'm commenting, the .308 is a fine caliber, but the "06" because of case capacity just has broader range of use and is equal to the .308 in everything good that is being said about it by other posters. It, the "06", just has the ability to take "it" a step farther.

Comes back to what floats your boat.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
185 Posts
As mentioned, hunting and target shooting at 1000 yards are two different pastimes and require different equipment. One rifle can do both but neither well.

I personally would get into the hunting game with buying a Savage Trophy Hunter XP package in .308, 7'08 , ,270 or 30-06. This package includes the Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 BDc which is excellent glass for the money. German glass is great and I have owned my share but I don't think think it would be prudent to start out with.

·
Registered
185 Posts
in reading your post closer, what mountains? What game? Here again...a mountain rifle is not going to be worth a tinker's **** on the 1000 yard line. otherwise, a HB Varmint rifle with a 4-12 scope is gonna get might tiresome at 10k feet.

My mountain rifle for goats and sheep and high country muleys is a Syn Stocked Savage 110 in .270 with a 3.5-10x40 vx3. Elk Rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye in .300 Win Mag or Ruger #1 in .35 Whelen

·
Registered
185 Posts
where does Savage come in?

i'd put the savage ahead of both the Remington and Ruger for accuracy. The American is showing a lot of promise with the new trigger and the Hawkeye is better than it used to be but the savage with the accutrigger really shines.

You might want to look at tikka as well if you want a mountain gun

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As mentioned, hunting and target shooting at 1000 yards are two different pastimes and require different equipment. One rifle can do both but neither well.

I personally would get into the hunting game with buying a Savage Trophy Hunter XP package in .308, 7'08 , ,270 or 30-06. This package includes the Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 BDc which is excellent glass for the money. German glass is great and I have owned my share but I don't think think it would be prudent to start out with.
See, here's my issue. Im on a six month assignment for a larger company and dont know where I am heading after this. Right NOW I am in the Sierra Nevadas, but by the time the season rolls around I coudl be here, Texas, Alaska, Kentucky, anywhere. That's why I was thinking 308, good all around caliber that will do a little of everything. Of course, down the line I'll get something bigger and smaller most likely.

Make sense? And you dont think starting with German glass is prudent at first? Why not?

·
Registered
185 Posts
See, here's my issue. Im on a six month assignment for a larger company and dont know where I am heading after this. Right NOW I am in the Sierra Nevadas, but by the time the season rolls around I coudl be here, Texas, Alaska, Kentucky, anywhere. That's why I was thinking 308, good all around caliber that will do a little of everything. Of course, down the line I'll get something bigger and smaller most likely.

Make sense? And you dont think starting with German glass is prudent at first? Why not?
I love German glass. I have 2 german scopes, a Zeiss and a Kahles. I also have a pair of Zeiss Victory Binoculars that I would rather part with my left *** than them. If you can afford it and justify it go for it. But, candidly, you don't know where you will land so you are going to spend $1400 on one rig that is basically utilitarian. For $1000 you can get 2 rifles w/decent glass. A 7mm08 deer rifle and a 300 win mag if moose and elk wind up on the menu.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But, candidly, you don't know where you will land so you are going to spend $1400 on one rig that is basically utilitarian. For $1000 you can get 2 rifles w/decent glass. A 7mm08 deer rifle and a 300 win mag if moose and elk wind up on the menu.
Good point there. So of the guys who pointed toward the 700s (wasnt as many as i expected) which models do you like the best?

Yall have given me some serious thinking to do!

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
There are several very well made rifles out there to choose from and take to the practice range. The cheapest hunting rifle would be a SAVAGE or Mosseberg rifle. Savage does make great accurate barrels for their rifles. The Remingtons have always done a very good job of taking game and shooting targets with plenty of accuracy. The rifles today are generally much more accurate than those who shoot them at the range.

My hunting rifles are Winchester model 70 bolt action for the most part, same safety 3 postition safety, feel is much the same (other than weight) and they have the big "claw extractor" like the Mauser actions. The control round fed magazine is another plus for me too. These are not perhaps the most accurate out of the box but they are a very good hunting rifle.

I do have a couple of Rugers that I shoot P-dogs with out to 400 yds. One is a 25-06 heavy barrel and stock. The other is a 6.5/300mag wildcat, I used for distances further downrange.

However, shooting a 1000 yards is a whole new ball game and it takes lots and lots of practice to become proficient enough to make hits 1000 yds down range. The .260 Remington is a great caliber for shooting long range and will not beat you up (make your shoulder sore) Savage makes an excellent long range .308 caliber rifle, with adjustable stock and price is very reasonable considering, what it cost to have a custom made super accurate rifle.

A good scope is a must (Leupold etc) for such target shooting! Something in the 8 x 24 or 6 x 20 power in a variable, with mil-dots and turrets. Bushnell makes a cheaper 3200 series scope that I like a lot. It's what you like the best etc.:)

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,580 Posts
I've got a passle of 700's. I can't say anything bad about Rugers or Savages either, I just prefer Remingtons. They fit me. I always assume that every shooter is over 6 feet and a good 200 plus pounds :eek: (I'm 6'4" and 240) so I always recommend a rifle on the heavier side.

The SPS stock is kinda cheap, but for another $100 you can put a Boyds stock on it. The SPS Varminter I have is a 1/2moa shooter right out of the box as is the VLS (both available in .308), but both have 26 inch heavy tubes. If you're kinda serious about shooting 1000 meters you'll need to look at something along those lines anyway.

If you are going to use it for mainly hunting, a good old 30-06 would be hard to beat. It'll take care of anything in the lower 48. It packs a bit more kick than a 308 but it's nothing you can't overcome with practice. A CDL if you like nice wood and blued steel or if you like stainless and laminated wood a Mountain Stainless is how I'd go.

Bolt Action Centerfire - Model 700 Centerfire Rifle - Remington Bolt Action Centerfire Rifle

Like others suggested, go try a few brands on and see how they fit.

For hunting glass I'd avoid big objective lenses. A 50mm objective lens gathers lots of light but is harder to get on to than a 44mm due to the need for higher mounts/rings. I'd go with a bit more magnification than most, say in the 4.5-14X44 range. A 6.5-20X50 if you want to play out to 1000 meters. Higher powered variable scopes would need to have either a side focus or an adjustable objective.

RJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So as I buy my first rifle and intend to get more, would yall say the 308 is a good middle of the road caliber? As in, good for most things that arent small and only faltering when you get into large moose/elk and dangerous game?

Main question is for someone that plans to get a couple rifles (over time haha I'm not rich!), is a 30-06 better than a 308? Or vice versa?

By the way all this advice has been great! I'll definitely post pics whenever i get this thing set up and everything!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts