Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and gals,

I'm about to buy my first rifle but I'm torn between two guns and two scopes. I like the Remington 700 VSF and the VSSFII in a .223. For the scopes I'm looking at the Leupold VX-2 6x18x40mm and the VX-3 6.5x20x40 or 50mm. I'd appreciate everyone's opinions on the various models and which ones would be a good match and why. What about the significant price difference between the different models, is it worth it. I'm going to use it for target shooting in the 100-300 yd. range 90% of the time and maybe some varmints. If I find I'm into it, I'll be looking to transfer the scope onto a .308 or a .300 so I can get out a little farther.

Thanks

·
Banned
90 Posts
Hello guys and gals,

I'm about to buy my first rifle but I'm torn between two guns and two scopes. I like the Remington 700 VSF and the VSSFII in a .223. For the scopes I'm looking at the Leupold VX-2 6x18x40mm and the VX-3 6.5x20x40 or 50mm. I'd appreciate everyone's opinions on the various models and which ones would be a good match and why. What about the significant price difference between the different models, is it worth it. I'm going to use it for target shooting in the 100-300 yd. range 90% of the time and maybe some varmints. If I find I'm into it, I'll be looking to transfer the scope onto a .308 or a .300 so I can get out a little farther.

Thanks
Im not a rem fan, but many others are. Do yourself a favor and get the 308 now ( much better round ) also you might want to take a look at Nikon as you can get a equally good scope for about 200 less.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would personally get the 700 VSSFII, it comes from the factory with a H.S. Precision stock, pretty much built like a light weight Sendero, it has a stainless fluted barrel, another + in my book. For the scope I would go with the Leupold VXIII 6.5-20, I have two of them, great scopes that you cant go wrong with, and wont let you down. My thought on optics is, your rifle is only going to be as good as the scope that is on it, as a general rule, on my guns I will spend almost as much, if not more for a scope as I do the rifle that I am mounting it on, that has been a very sucsessful rule for me on the set up of my guns, I havnt been let down yet. The above combo in a 223 will be a VERY accurate set up that will be hard to beat with ANY factory rifle/scope combo.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have a Leupold VX-III in 6.5x20x40AO, and can vouch for it's clarity and worth.....to shoot at 300 yards I would not be getting a scope that high powered tho....the 4x12 would do me fine, as I hardly ever turn it up beyond 10 .....

·
Banned
233 Posts
rifle and scope

personlly i dont like the new remmys.-have 5 leupold scopes and brought a new weaver 3-15x50 tactical--AT LEAST AS GOOD but feel sharper in image than a leupold.-very impressed. check them out.---at about half the price.-that good to me that i wont buy another leupold.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Just bought a new Rem. 700 SPS in .300 wm and it is a great shooter for me. I'm like Winbag338, go ahead and atleast get the .308, the recoil will not be that bad and you'll get longer yardage with more knock down power. Also bucking the wind will not be as big of a problem as with the .223. Inless you just like to keep upgrading just get what you really want. I know I wish I would have got a .300wm a long time ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.