Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been handloading .308 for a few years, and .243 for about a year. This is my first time reloading 45-70. It has been some time since I handloaded a straight-walled case. I don't know if I am being overly critical here or not, but there appears to be a slight bulge in my case wall on one side. It acts like it is not out of round. My best conclusion is maybe to much flair when I open the case up to accept the bullet, right now there is just enough for the bullet to set on top and and inside. I chambered the round in my Sharps, and it goes right in without any hiccups. Any ideas, or am I just overly critical here?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,129 Posts
You get that sometimes. Try neck expanding with a Lyman "M" die if you aren't already.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Too much lube is my guess. I reload 50-90's and whenever I have too much lube on them I get a slight bulge.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,876 Posts
If the bullet isn't guided into the case straight you'll get a bulge caused by the bullet base. As MikeG suggests, get the Lyman "M" die to properly open and flare the case mouth to accept the bullet, then carefully align the bullet as close as possible as you seat it.

I just neck size to bullet seating depth on the 45-70 so's not to work the case too much. Works fine for my former Marlin LTD1 1895 and the present Spfld Trapdoor carbine. Two boxes of brass are on their 23rd reload.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know if this helped or not, but, I would actually spin cartridge 1/4-1/3 turn as I would start to cycle the round up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kdub, please explain your process to me. Zoar, when I expand the case I dont see a need for lube, it just cycles as smooth as with. Maybe Kdub might have something, I might have to expand more? which might require a littlle lube? Thanks for you inputs by the way, I really appreciate it.

·
36,129 Posts
You don't need to expand more, you need to expand straighter.

The usual expander for straight walled cases is tapered. The mouth of the case ends up a little funnel-shaped.

The Lyman "M" die will keep the case mouth straight, and leave a little shelf for the bullet to sit on. It is more likely to start straight and continue straight into the case. Take a look at the Lyman web site, I think they have drawings / pictures.

Doesn't hurt if the seating stem matches the nose profile either. For flat nosed bullets, I often just grind the entire thing off completely flat. Keeps the bullet from tipping.

·
23,876 Posts
Mike explained it pretty well. Your rotation of the cartridge when seating is what I do, also. Helps in a straighter seat. Buy the "M" die and get better results.

·
23,876 Posts
Yes, in a positive way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Having the same trouble with my 458WM with flat point bullets even if I rotate the casing as I'm seating the bullet.After reading MikeG's post ,took the seating stem out of my Hornady die and it looks to be reversable,one end is concave and the other flat.I'll try it flat side down.

·
36,129 Posts
Should be fine. There is a fair range of adjustment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took my handloads out today, and they suprised me. They had one heck of a recoil. I would have thought 350 gr bullets would have less than 405. The 405 grain bullets were a little more accurate but the manufacturer was not as reliable. I let the hammer down 5 times on this one bullet, and it still didn't go off. Thinking I will hold out for some 405 grain lead before I reload anymore. We were able to hit a steel post at 100 yards with the lead stuff, so all in all we had some fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts