Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was doing some pressure testing ladders, to find it's limits. Didnt really group test it, but I think this will be an accurate gun. By didnt group test, I mean I didnt have it on front and rear bags. I used my bipod.

Hodgdon says 67.5gr of Retumbo @ 3171fps is max for a 129gr Hornady. I ran my test up to 67gr and the primers are still round, and no cratering. I'm not running magnum primers though, I would like some of the older guy's input there. Anyway, group size for the 67gr was 0.786" center-to-center. Im going to load up 5 each of 67, 67.5 and 68, and really rest it this time, along with chrono it.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Hodgdons reloading data manual NO. 20 shows test with 26 inch barrel, Winchester 120 primer, 129gr Hornady bullet and 67gr of 4831 with max breach pressure of 50800 at 3251fps. I have usedthe 4831 sinse 1970 with from 65gr to 72gr with great performance. My Speer munual NO. 8 shows with a 26 inch barrel and a 87gr spitzer with 72 gr of 4831 muz vel 3824fps and at 200 yards 3066fps. That will vaporize a rockchuck.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want 3200fps with my 24" barrel. Since I traded the 300 RUM, I figured Id use the retumbo. I dont have any 4831, but will RL19 work ? Thats what I use for my .338 in the place of 4831. On hand, I only have RL19 and 22, IMR-4350 and Retumbo.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
3224 fps, maybe? ;)

Hodgdon website shows a 85gr bullet can be pushed to 3812 by 73gr of H4831, and 3863 with 69gr of Hybrid 100V whatever the **** that is. Am I wrong in thinking that using the slowest powder possible for a cartridge is best ? Isn't a full case better ?

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Ah, yes, missed the different bullet weight. Thought it was still a 129 grainer. Sorry 264!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would agree that a slower powder would apply here. If you're getting good groups with Retumbo I really wouldn't look anywhere else. I would not worry over a few fps in this case and simply enjoy shooting the rifle. It's more fun that way.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would agree that a slower powder would apply here. If you're getting good groups with Retumbo I really wouldn't look anywhere else. I would not worry over a few fps in this case and simply enjoy shooting the rifle. It's more fun that way.

I understand what you are saying, but the thing is, why run a .264 Win Mag, if it's only running at .260 Rem or even 6.5x55 speed ? I will chrono it for sure though.

Im attaching a pic with two ballistic charts comparing the 129gr Interbond BT at 2950 fps MV and 3200 fps MV.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hodgdon website shows a 85gr bullet can be pushed to 3812 by 73gr of H4831, and 3863 with 69gr of Hybrid 100V whatever the **** that is. Am I wrong in thinking that using the slowest powder possible for a cartridge is best ? Isn't a full case better ?
Tang try the 100gr HP starting at 65gr H4831 and work up toward 72 gr and you will discover a exciting load with top of the line grouping, flat shooting and fast. My Remington 721 with the original 24" barrel loved that combo in the 3700 fps range. 400 yard rockchucks and it worked on deer and elk as well. Oh yah very little recoil for a great day at the range. My longest running shot with the 100gr hp was 300yrds on a Muley Buck hit him in the lungs, he droped instantly. He weighted 205 hanging at the butcher shop with the head and hide removed.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This gun better learn to love the 129gr Interbond. I bought a buttload of them from Midway as blemished bullets.

·
Registered
704 Posts
What is the blemish? Weight differances, shape, scratches or inner balance problems resulting in eritic flight? Would you trust them to be dependable?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol...looks to just be discolored to me, but I will let you know. I never thought to weigh them all. If they don't work out, I was going to move onto a TTSX, or a good ole 125gr Partition.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
This gun better learn to love the 129gr Interbond. I bought a buttload of them from Midway as blemished bullets.
I hope you do, I haven't had much luck with the IB's (I also know a few other who haven't as well). I picked up a bunch of the blems in 3 calibers myself. Only thing I see wrong with them is a coupld have discolor to them almost like water spots or something. Midway also had the Pro Chrony Digital on sale.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I hope you do, I haven't had much luck with the IB's (I also know a few other who haven't as well). I picked up a bunch of the blems in 3 calibers myself. Only thing I see wrong with them is a coupld have discolor to them almost like water spots or something. Midway also had the Pro Chrony Digital on sale.
M1 Garand you wouln't have a spare M1 Garand for sale would you? I just aquired a Browning BAR hunting rifle in 30-06 for $425.00 but sure would like to have a Garand.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but the thing is, why run a .264 Win Mag, if it's only running at .260 Rem or even 6.5x55 speed ? I will chrono it for sure though.

Im attaching a pic with two ballistic charts comparing the 129gr Interbond BT at 2950 fps MV and 3200 fps MV.
Is 2950 what the Retumbo is running? Surely it's getting 3100+ ? I would then agree to run with a powder that speeds it up a bit if not. I would figure this is a good powder for the .264?

I have a .270 that will run over that speed (2950) using a 130 grain bullet. :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Nope, but here's where you can get one:

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
Great web site M1 I added to my favorites. I served in the Navy Aug 1964-Nov 1968 Nam Vet. Also served Washington Army National Gaurd Nov 1985-Nov 1990 and Sea Bees Reserves Nov 1990 and Retired Aug 2003. Funny don't feel that old, well my body does just went through back surgery Mar 24th and not back to work yet. I thank the Lord I can still do the things I love.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is 2950 what the Retumbo is running? Surely it's getting 3100+ ? I would then agree to run with a powder that speeds it up a bit if not. I would figure this is a good powder for the .264?

I have a .270 that will run over that speed (2950) using a 130 grain bullet. :D

I havent actually chronoed it, I was just making an example.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
As I said before, max with Retumbo is 67.5gr with the 129gr Hornady. So today, I loaded up 67.5, 67.8 and 68gr. Still, no pressure signs what so ever. I don't get it. Recoil has really went up noticably (if thats what you want to call it with this thing). Im going to load up 5, @ 68 and group test them, as well as run 3 extra through the chrono.

I'm wondering about Hodgdon's website, since Im not getting pressure signs at all.

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY OF THE DATA I HAVE LISTED ABOVE. I AM DOING SO AT MY OWN RISK. EACH GUN IS DIFFERENT.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts