Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a .22 plinkster 1.5 years ago never shot it. I want to take it the following weekend my question is should I clean the gun since its been sitting or is it okay to shoot?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I'd make sure it has no rust (unlikely that it does) and make sure you oil it up a little and that there are no obstructions in the barrel. It should be fine though. I've seen firearms sit much longer than a year and a half without care and they are perfectly fine. my Ruger American .22lr sat in the back of my safe for almost a year without cleaning or anything. Took it out last weekend to see if it was still sighted in. Now it's going to sit in there again till this next November or December. Probably won't clean it after then either. Just oil it up some and store it again. Not my normal habits for firearms but that's what I got this little rifle for. We use it to shoot rabbits from about 15-20 yards max and it does fine for the last 2.5 years. It got pretty beat up the first year. It fell out of the truck and got pretty scratched up... Henceforth it not being babied around with.

Edit: and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Did you do an initial cleaning when it was purchased? All firearms should have at least a cursory cleaning before ever shooting just to make sure the barrel is not obstructed and that there's not an excess of oil (grease) in the barrel or chamber which could cause pressure problems. If that was done before, you should be GTG with a look down the barrel (no bug nests, etc). If that had never been accomplished, I'd recommend now as the time to do that cursory cleaning. Have fun at the range!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
Yeah at least run a patch down the bore. Have fun and enjoy..... by the way the last (only?) Mossberg I bought felt like it had sand in the action and I had to strip it down and really, really clean it before it would cycle reliably. Hope you don't have that problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts