Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a ruger m77 hawkeye action be fitted into a an orginal ruger m77 mark II standard stock without having any modifications done?

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
As long as the action sizes and barrel contours are the same, the answer is yes.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Not having these items in front of me for comparison, I will say that in general it will come down to the action-screw spacing. If the action and the stock match in that regard, it should be possible to achieve a fit with judicious inletting and bedding. It can be a long, slow process of cut-and-try, but rushing it is a recipe for failure.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
When I bought a new Hawkeye shortly after they came out, I decided to purchase a Boyds laminate for the SS Hawkeye. None was listed on their site, so I called and asked if their MKII would fit the New Hawkeye.

They didn't know so they called Ruger. Inletting IF barrel contour and action sizes match is the same. That MKII stock has now been on two Hawkeye rifles; perfect fit, no inletting needed.

Reactions: E.O

·
Registered
11,934 Posts
That's good to know. What are the differences between the Hawkeye and Mark2?

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
The differences were a matte finish to both blue and SS Hawkeyes and a slimmer walnut stock profile with wrap around checkering on the forend. The Hawkeye also has a Ruger emblem engraved on the floorplate. It's my understanding that the newer blued Hawkeyes have a more polished finish more like the MKIIs now tho.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The Hawkeyes also have a new trigger called the LC6 - although I must confess that I see only easier (read cheaper) manufacturing in the design and do not see or feel any change from even the original M77. I have all three models and the Hawkeye is as nice a shooter as the original tang safety M77 is. The old M77 stock is bulky and unnessecarily heavy and as soon as my checkering skills are better than presently I am working mine down to the Hawkeye contour and profile.

I was disappointed in the bolt finishing (both inside and out) of my brand new Hawkeye and had to spend about a week of evening work to get is as slick at the M77 and M77 M. II.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
11,934 Posts
I was aware of the physical appearance thing and read about the new trigger. Wasnt so sure of the rest of the mechanicals. I've had the tang safety and MkIIs but haven't hauled a Hawkeye home yet.

Thanks Tnhunter and Musgrave

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
While none of my 3 Haweyes are as smooth as any of my CRF M70s, they are smoother than my CZ550. They are all "keepers" however!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's the REAL question

I have a Brown Precision fiberglass stock for a Ruger M77 with the tang safety.

Will a MKII action fit or will there have to me extensive reworking of the action area?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Fred, give me till tomorrow and I'll tell you the details

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,517 Posts
I have swapped stocks back and forth, and even swapped a boat-paddle onto a Hawkeye.

The footprint is identical, the only tangible difference is in the barrel diameter coming out of the receiver. It is bigger, longer on the predators, but a regular Hawkeye needed a wee bit of relieving to fit the boat paddle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
reverse swap

I shoot a left hand model M77 in 300 WM. The original stock shattered (always check those screws!). I sent it back to Ruger. They called and said the only thing they had in a left hand was the Hawkeye stock. It's fits perfect
, so I'd assume you can switch back and forth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts