Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi! i'm new to the group, so bear with me if you've been asked this before. i've got a 356win 94 that i just got, and i want to handload for it. the manuals recomend the speer 180 and 220gr bullets only. i read on a different forum that a guy is using rem 200gr rn. he says he only loads 3rnds in the mag, and hasn't had any problems. i want to load the 200gr hornady rn. what do you guys think? i'm going to try aa2015 for powder wiht cci200 primers. is the crimping groove on the hornady in the correct position? thanks for your time, and sorry that i'm so long winded!

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, 356win:
Welcome to the forum. It's better to fully define your question in the first post than leave out the critical details, so don't worry about a long post. The Hornady RN is about .050" longer, nose to crimp groove, than a factory 250 grainer I've got here. I don't know if that's too long or not.

There's two reasons why I can't recommend the Hornady. It's too tough to expand at lever action velocities. I'd say it's iffy at 200 yards.
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4453

Second thing is that the jacket almost covers the nose. Don't be fooled by the amount of exposed lead, scrape it off and you'll see that there's a fair amount smeared over the top of the jacket. On the other hand, the Remington has lots of lead ahead of the jacket. So it's much easier on the primer ahead. Not that I recommend the Remington in the .356 anyway, I don't have a .356, so I'm not making any recommendations. Note that Hornady doesn't have data for the .356 in the #4 manual.

Check out this thread too: http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4526

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply jack. i spent some time surfing on the web site and saw that post after i had posted here. i think i'll be ordering some remingtons when i order my dies and brass. have you tried the sierra 200gr rn?

·
Registered
204 Posts
RE: Sierra 200 grn R/N

356win-

I have a batch of the Sierra 200 grn R/N's loaded up with AA-2015 powder. Trouble is, this Michigan cold snap we've had for the last two weeks has prevented me from getting to the range. I chose the Sierra 200 grn R/N because it has a very blunt, almost flat, nose. The other reason that I chose it was because of all the reports I had seen claiming that the Hornady 200 grn R/N was not expanding reliably. Sierra lists loads for their 200 grn R/N for the .358 Winchester so I have decided to work up slowly from their recommended starting load .2 grn at a time. My .356 is very accurate from the bench with factory loads (1" groups @ 100 yds) so if it doesn't group these Sierra's tight then I'll drop them like a hot rock. I'll report back on this thread once I've gone to the range.

The next bullet I plan to try is BTB's 210 LFN and 200 WFN; anybody able to give advice on how well these two bullets work in the .356 Winchester?

·
Banned
349 Posts
I've always used the Old rule of Thumb .That FNs are the safest way to go in any tube magizine.That's just a personal observation

·
Banned
44 Posts
...FNs are the safest way to go in any tube magizine.That's just a personal observation.
That's the way I kind of feel too, although my Marlin 30-30 has a preference for Remington Core-Lokt 170gr rounds.

Butch A.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
That's the way I was taught too. Even better are the FN bullets with tips larger than primer diameter. RN, eh maybe. Spitzer, never.

·
Registered
429 Posts
356win - I have a friend with a new (used) .356 who needs a source for brass; if you could provide one I would appreciate it. Also, what brands of dies are available and what brand do you recommend? Thanks - Riley

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have your same exact gun and load 200gr. Rem. Rn in it full to the brim. I shoot full throttle loads and have no problems. With the scare on the bullet dissapearing, my brother bought 2000, of which I will probably use quite a few of. I have shot about 700 so far with no ill affects. This is with loads of around 2500. I use Lee dies and use the factory crimp and have no bullet set-back. William Iorg set me onto the fact that with all that soft lead, there is virtually no way you will get detonation. There was a gun digest article he also set me onto (2002) I believe that discussed tube detonation. Seems it is darned hard with exposed lead (even in a spitzer tip) to get the tube detonation.

I get good expansion, and although the bullet was obviously not made for the gun, it is accurate and expands well. I was quite worried when they it was rumored it was to be no longer made. The bullet performed well fo rme on a 300 # hog.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Saw the post on BTB's. The 210 is great in this gun. I got a sample of the 200gr WFN, and it does not fit the throat. OAL was down around 2.3, which crams it way down the case. 210 is the most accurate bullet out of the gun. Able to go very fast! Have not used it on game yet.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Riley,

Midway should have it. Will be heading over there pretty soon to restock. Also, there is a good thread here posted by Slim Iorg on using the Redding Form/Trim die from which you can make 356 from 444 Marlin. I don't see that as a "Must have" for myself yet because midway still stocks it, unless something has changed, but I still want them in case the brass dries up. It's on my buy list for the future. Dr. A's advice with the Beartooth 210 LFNGC is good stuff, as well as avoiding WFN with a factory throat.

·
Registered
452 Posts
This is a rather interesting thread...

I have used 110 gr. RN's (carbine bullets) in my 30-30 for plinking and everyone loves them. No felt recoil and very little muzzle blast...125 gr. Sierra FN's are going to be my hunting load, however.

Remember, recoil has almost as much to do with the potential cook off as the tip does....I am not telling anyone to do this...

Darrell

1 - 13 of 13 Posts