Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is not a repeat, I did a search on "flight bullet target Mann" and it returned nothing.

In college I found a book back in the stacks of the Engineering library by the title of "The Bullet's Flight from Powder to Target" by F. W. Mann. I loved it. I kept it checked out for years with the exception of two times someone else requested it and I couldn't renew.

This book is written right at the end of the black powder days, using lead bullets. It was an intense study by an intense man, Mann.

In the book he researches with actual tests on targets many interesting things to shooters of all ages, like muzzle deformations (I dinged my crown!), bullet deformations at tip and base, offset weight distributions, and many more.

I now have a copy of the 1942 printing, 1997 copyright by Palladium Press. It used to be you could buy a CD of one of the barrel makers marked up copy, I believe it was Pope. I don't know if this is still available.

I love this book and strongly recommend it to anyone wondering about how to/not to get equipment and ammo to make an accurate shot. :D

·
Premium Member
16,832 Posts
Beware those copies of high dollar books. Most are incomplete at best.

Bullet's Flight was in my Jr. High Library. Was.

·
Registered
672 Posts
It is a great book with a ton of information but, It was completed in 1908 and published in 1909. The study of the physics of ballistics is far better understood today. Still is of historic interest as much as a study of the man (Mann) as it is the state of the understanding of ballistics of the time.

Paul

·
Premium Member
16,832 Posts
I was 'sent to the office' and threatened severely in the 8th grade for comparing a live 50BMG cartridge with the Mann bullet profile charts in the library. They didn't find the other dozen assorted rounds in my book bag.

Think of the foundation Mann laid for planes and rockets and super-sonic flight.....and sail boats.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Good book.
Lasting Legacy.
His Daughter wrote a letter to the American Rifleman and collaborated on an article for Guns Magazine published in September 1968. It available free on the Legacy Guns Magazine page.

In Texas it is common for some shooters' to drive the Super Duty down to the 200- or 300- yard line.
Not quite as classy as an open top Cadillac touring car..

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.