Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
One heck of a way to keep your powder dry, put the pan on the bottom!!:D

Make's for a slimmer gun, doesn't have all that lockwork hanging off the side.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
One heck of a way to keep your powder dry, put the pan on the bottom!!:D

Make's for a slimmer gun, doesn't have all that lockwork hanging off the side.
Direct ignition too. The powder burns from the center not the side. There is no pan. I have seen this before and it seems somewhat impractical because if you have a misfire your powder gets dumped. I wondered if there would be less misfires this way tho. Maybe the only way to know is to try it. The hammer is the only thing exposed on the lock. This is a very handsome fowler. I love old firearms! Just can't afford them unfortunately. I don't think anyone can say that underhammers are an American invention.

·
Registered
926 Posts
On a well tuned flintlock ignition is about as fast as a caplock. But I'm talking about a high quality lock not a marginal import type.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Direct ignition too. The powder burns from the center not the side. There is no pan. I have seen this before and it seems somewhat impractical because if you have a misfire your powder gets dumped. I wondered if there would be less misfires this way tho. Maybe the only way to know is to try it. The hammer is the only thing exposed on the lock. This is a very handsome fowler. I love old firearms! Just can't afford them unfortunately. I don't think anyone can say that underhammers are an American invention.
We must be looking at different pictures. To me the pan is clearly visible above the frizzen and appears to be at least an inch away from the barrel, about as "indirect" as a flintlock could ever be made. Probably why it's in such good condition, it wasn't used much because it doesn't work.:D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see your point. It doe's seem a long way for the flash to travel. The stock is in the way unlike New England underhammers with the percussion nipple screwed directly into the barrel. I don't know; as usual, but I had the notion that maybe the powder falling to the sparks might ignite better. Had to explain what I meant. Also one might get powder burns with a rig like this. Like I said the only way to know is to either try it or ask someone who has. Notice the raised lock area with the teardrop finale where the lock would have been normally. It's all interesting to me none the less. Blackpowder is my obsession.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts