Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my fellow reloaders might be amused by this.

I had just poured some HP-38 gunpowder into my powder measure in preparation for loading up some 357 Mag cartridges when I noticed some odd pieces of gunpowder sticking up inside the dispenser. On closer inspection, I found this was not gunpowder but actually a dead fly. So I picked it out with tweezers and took a picture of it with my macro lens.

The lines at the bottom of the photo are the edge of a mm ruler. So the fly from wingtip to head is about 6mm.

Upon further inspection, I found what appeared to be either a body part of the fly or one of its eggs. Unfortunately, I could not grab that piece with my tweezers. I'm afraid it is going to one day be blasted to smithereens inside one of my 357 Magnum cartridges.

I don't normally leave my gunpowder bottles open. Even while I am dispensing powder onto the dish of my scale, I put the lid temporarily back on top of the bottle if for no other reason than to keep moisture from my breath from contaminating the powder. So, my only question is, how did that fly get inside my 1 lb bottle of HP-38?

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
Strange Filler

I was shooting a bench gun one time and it always printed touching holes. Then one day, after firing a shot I had a flier at about 2:00. Couldn't tell why. The shot felt good, but with the group in the black of a target, I couldn't see it too clearly. So, I figured the sights must have shifted and I took aim at the flier itself to see if the shot climbed higher and to the right by an equal amount, as the shifted sight should do. Bang. No new hole to be seen. So I wait for a ceasefire.

At the ceasefire, I go to the target and I see one hole in the flier location and darned if the cloverleaf in the center didn't have enough lobes to account for all the rest of the shots I fired. Then I looked at the flier again and saw something strange. Six little black lines, three on either side with perfect symmetry and leg joints. The "flier" was never a true hole. It was a house fly that had landed on the target and patiently awaited execution by my triple deuce. It was more a kind of flyer than a flier.

I'm sorry your photo didn't show. The board programming requires 25 posts and ten day's membership before it lets photos show. You've got the ten days handled. Now you just need a few more posts.

If the fly part gets into a case, it will just subtract that much powder from the load when you dispense it and will be blown out with the bullet. It should do no harm at all. As to how it got there, maybe it happened at the factory? If the factory has enough flies, every once in a while it saves them a pound of powder.

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
My shooting buddy and I used to set up a target at about 15 yards with a dot of YellowJacket attractant in the bullseye. In the fall of the year we had constant targets and it was a hoot to shoot them with .22s while the big rifles cooled between groups.

The rule was to not shoot over a baited field. They had to crawl out into the white to be fair game....easy to make them follow a trail of that stinking goo, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts