Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I checked over the stickied thread on flying with firearms and didn't see an answer to this question, but if anyone has recently flown Delta and checked both a full rifle case as well as a handgun case in their regular checked suitcase, how many bags did they charge you for? I asked Delta directly and got "it's not explicitly stated you can't, but it doesn't say you can, so it'll be up to the ticketing desk at your airport." I don't want to get to the airport and get charged an extra $150 because it constituted a third bag. Rifle case is sitting square at 50 pounds, so I'm trying to finagle a way to not pay out the nose to take my pistol. Considering my options for shipping as well, but if I can get away with just the two bags this is my cheapest option.

Thanks!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,991 Posts
I've had both a handgun and a rifle in the same rifle case. So.... why do you need the handgun case? Convenience?

The TSA agent will inspect the rifle case, and put it on the conveyor.... the airline employee will not.

·
Premium Member
15,427 Posts
Two bags, two charges.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
If your handgun (in approved locked case) is in your 2nd checked bag, you will only be paying for two bags. I'd also be sure to have a plan to switch something out of your rifle case in the event it comes up as 50+ pounds at the airport. I have had to do that. I don't know if you have something like your binoculars in your rifle case (like I typically do), but if you do, you might be better off carrying them in your carry on. I try to take small heavy (legal) objects in my carry on to save some weight in the checked bags. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Flew Delta twice this year (4 flights, 6 airports). Charge was for two bags.

They have also started to use heavy wire ties (nylon) around your gun case. It is for in airport security when you pickup gun case a baggage. They are put on at you arrival airport. I actually helped a small lady put them on my bag, so I could walk 35 foot out the door???

I had 3 guns and other 'stuff' in my large SKB double gun case it weighed 50.6 pounds. they did not charge 'over weight' fee. Old rules did not limit "athletic equipment" to 50 # (things like ski, golf clubs,gun cases, etc). Many gate check in still go by this.

Another thought. Most airlines policies state "ammo must not be in same case as firearm". that means at least 2 checked bags. But no one seems to ask if the case has ammo when you check it. Nor is there any check to see if the case actually has ammo inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts