Shooters Forum banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I travel with my rifle in a pelican case quite frequently and as long as the lock makes it so you can't get into
The case with your finger tips your good to go!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had to throw away a brand new box of ballistic silver tips on my way to Missouri because the ammo was packed in the pelican box with the rifle. Original box, bolt and magazine out.
I've flown several times with weapons and ammunition, the only consistent thing about it is the inconsistency.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Yes, the Airlines vary on the ammo thing. Me, I put it in my packed boots to save the worry or argument.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,071 Posts
Yup, done that too, put it in your boots which is in another piece of checked baggage. The TSA might inspect it but really don't care much about ammo in factory boxes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just looked up firearms rules for Alaska Airlines. They allow one case (no limit on number of fire arms in the case). Ammunition in original manufacturers box or in a box designed to carry ammunition. If you plan to travel with a firearm where the frame can be disassembled from the gun, the frame is considered a firearm even though it has no trigger mechanism. The rules do not say the firearm and ammo cannot be in the same case. There is no mention of where magazines must travel.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I travel by air a lot. Last month some airlines started using heavy wire ties around case to seal it. they put them on at the baggage claim area before giving you the case. just more hassle.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts