Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a very clean Egyptian contract FN-49. Someone had misplaced the bolt hold open and had added an M-16 birdcage flash hider. Brownells had the bolt hold open assembly and its an easy replacement but I finally took it out yesterday to shoot.

Its got very nice iron sights and we were easily getting hits on moving ice berg bits at 200-250 once I figured out the arabic markings on the rear sight.
Using Czech milsurp match ammo function was almost flawless but ejection was light at times with the bolt carrier returning and catching the ejected empty crosswise between the receiver and bolt carrier and wedging it under the gas piston tip as it began retracting.
I suspect its from the lighter weight projectile as they calibrated these for use with the 200 grain Egyptian milsurp ammo and I dont have any of that. It happened 4 times out of 60 shots and empties were ejected about 8-10 feet forward and right to about 2 o'clock for the most part.

Very little felt recoil and all three of us thought the rifle is a winner.
With handloads I could hunt with it and if I was ever attacked by hordes of moose, Id stand a chance. :rolleyes:

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
These are a rarity at our local gunrange and draw curious looks when someone shows up with one. Their owners seem quite happy with function and accuracy. You're probably right about the light loadings causing the stovepiping, Michael. Handloaded heavier ammo will hopefully solve this one drawback.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The gas system is adjustable. Take off the front handguard and you'll see an adjusting sleeve to regulate the amount of gas is vented. This will alow you to ajust the rifle to function properly with the ammo you have.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
MMichaelAK,

You need to read up on the FN ABL Model 49 Rifle. As others have stated, the gas pressure is adjustable to get reliable fired case extraction/ ejection. I have adjusted the gas pressure on my 7X57MM, .30-06 and 8X57m ABL Model 49 Rifles. The Tokarev Model 40 and the Hakim, also, have adjustable gas systems. Also, are you properly lubing the rifle?

Hope this helps.

Webley

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
171 Posts
I have 3 FN49's. An Egyptian 8MM, Venezulean 7MM, and a Luxembourg 30/06. Always start testing new ammo with the magazine removed and the gas vent/port all the way open, you will need to remove the front handguard so as to adjust the vent and release the most gas. Then load a single round and see how it ejects. It should eject about 6 to 10 feet away and not be too violent. No dented brass. Then slowly close the vent one click at a time until proper ejection is achieved. The commercial ammo will most likely be a bad choice as it is loaded with too slow of a burning rate powder. The pressure curve is highest near the muzzle where the gas port is. Bad JU JU... Just like an M1 Garand they like medium burn rate powders.
MMichaelAK your rifle has a G3/HK91 or CETME flashider on it. It has the same thread 15mmx1.0 RH as the FN49. It should have a muzzle nut on it.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
metrotps,

WHY remove the ABL M49 Magazine to adjust the gas system? Also, why back the gas collar off to FULL OPEN? Where did you get your information about the M49? WHY "Close the gas collar one click at a time?" I find it more prudent to close the collar half turn at a time, unless you just like ruining fired cases.

I leave the magazine in and ensure the rifle is PROPERLY lubed. If the rifle in questions is ejecting 150 grain ammo, other 150 grain ammo should eject ok, or merely move the gas collar a half turn or so in or out. Backing "All the way off" is anti-smart, In my humble opinion.

Webley

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
171 Posts
Sorry for the confusion on the magazine. I remove it so that if there is a slam fire or the one piece firing pin breaks, I always replace mine with a two piece firing pin, or just a case head failure, the gas does not destroy the stock as they are very hard to come by for an Egyptian. Whatever gas adjustment works for you is fine. I'll stick with my method and as far as knowledge about the FN49... Well I have had about a dozen of them over the years along with just about every book on them plus FAL's, SVT's, Hakim's and about 2000 other rifles, shotguns, and pistols.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
metrotps,

Thanks for the reply. I would not remove the magazine to adjust the gas collar because you are introducing a new issue when the magazine is re-inserted after the gas collar is adjusted. Since MikeAK in his original post here was only getting a few failures to eject, merely closing the gas collar a half turn, or two, should cure the problem. If he "backed it off all the way and then closed a click at a time", he would need a few hundred rounds to get back where he BEGAN, when the right move was 4 or 8 clicks CLOSER!

Your extensive library on firearms was not reflected in "Back the collar OFF all the way' when MikeAK was only a few clicks off reliable ejection. Better read up on the ABL49. I have all the arms you listed as I am a serious arms collector and do not wish to see bad advice go unrefuted. Finally, you did not address PROPER lubrication of a gas gun, specifically the ABL49. Maybe you need to read some of your books.

Webley

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How fast were the ice bergs moving?? :rolleyes: B2B
We have looked at that each year and we figure no faster than seven or eight miles an hour. Our tidal fluctuations are about 33 feet from low to high tide in Cook Inlet at Ship Creek in downtown Anchorage. Where we shoot is about 20 miles south from there. They probably move faster on the bore tide but that is when the surfers are out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.